Series 1 - Episode 25
A Change of Bait
by Lewis Davidson
Production completed: 20 September 1961. First transmission: 23 December 1961
Lemuel Potts finds himself outwitted at every turn by Steed when he attempts to defraud Keel's patient, Archie Duncan. Potts finds himself pocketing the bill for Archie's cargo of rotten bananas. His other scheme to burn down an antique shop and claim the insurance money is also sabotaged by Steed, who extinguishes the flames! Even once under arrest, Steed still tricks him again - this time into revealing his accomplices.
|Archie Duncan||Victor Platt regularThe PrisonerThe Saint|
|Lemuel Potts||John Bailey regularDoctor WhoThe SaintDepartment SAdam AdamantThe Champions|
|Peter Sampson||Henry Soskin regularThe ChampionsThe Saint|
|Carol Wilson||Ingrid Hafner regularPolice Surgeon|
|John Steed||Patrick Macnee regular007|
|Herb Thompson||Robert Desmond|
|Nat Fletcher||Graham Rigby Doctor Who|
|Dr David Keel||Ian Hendry regularDangermanPolice SurgeonThe SaintThe Sweeney|
|Barker||Gary Hope regularDangermanThe Saint|
|Andre||Arthur Barrett regularThe SaintDad's Army|
|Bryan Stubbs||Norman Pitt regularThe SaintAdam Adamant|
|Ivy||Gillian McCutcheon Blake's 7|
|Charlie||Harry Shacklock regularCarry On..|
|Steed's Helper||Michael Hunt Carry On..Dangerman|
|Teleplay by||Lewis Davidson DangermanThe Saint|
|"The Avengers" Theme composed and played by||Johnny Dankworth regular|
|Designed by||James Goddard regularCallanThe Sweeney|
|Producer||Leonard White regularCallanPolice Surgeon|
|Directed by||Don Leaver regularCallanPolice Surgeon|
|Production Assistant||Barbara Forster regular|
|Floor Manager||Patrick Kennedy regular|
|Stage Manager||Barbara Sykes regular|
|Lighting Director||Peter Kew regular|
|Operational Supervisor||Peter Cazaley|
|Senior Cameraman||Michael Baldock regular (listed as Mike Baldock)|
|Sound Advisor||Michael Roberts regular (billed as Mike Roberts)|
|Vision Mixer||Gordon Hesketh regular|
- Alan Hayes recently unearthed the original shooting script which has revealed new information about the episode. From it we have learned the extras and production crew details in italics above, and the details below. The PDF is now included on the Optimum DVD set for Seasons 1 & 2; it has formed the basis for a reconstruction of the episode which will be included as part of the extras on an upcoming Optimum release.
- This was the 24th episode produced, with rehearsals scheduled for 19th September (11.00 a.m. - 9.00 p.m.) and 20th September (10.00 a.m. - 5.00 p.m.) and recording to AMPEX tape on the 20th September, 1961, 6.00 p.m. - 7.00 p.m.
This contradicts the generally held view of the schedule, which has it as 25th, as broadcast. It was probably filmed before The Deadly Air.
- Filming took place at Studio Two, ABC TV Studios, Broom Road, Teddington, Middlesex; they used 4 cameras, 3 boom mics and a telecine; running time was expected to be 57.35; that is, 52.55 + 2.05 and 2.35 commercial breaks. The three Acts were expected to run for for 18.39, 15.45 and 18.31 respectively.
- The cameramen were Mike Baldock on camera 1, supported by (2) David, (3) Brian, (4) Dave (no last names given). The slate number was 3421 - VTR/ABC/1445.
- Tuesday, 19th September, 1961
Camera Rehearsal 11.00 - 12.30 Lunch Break 12.30 - 13.30 Camera Rehearsal 13.30 - 18.00 Supper Break 18.00 - 19.00 Camera Rehearsal 19.00 - 21.00
- Wednesday, 20th September, 1961
Camera Rehearsal 10.00 - 12.30 Lunch Break 12.30 - 13.30 Camera Rehearsal 13.30 - 15.00 Tea-Break, Line Up, Normal Scan and Make-up 15.00 - 15.45 Dress Rehearsal 15.45 - 17.00 Notes 17.00 - 17.30 Line-Up 17.30 - 18.00 AMPEX RECORDING 18.00 - 19.00