Series 1 - Episode 2
Brought To Book
by Brian Clemens
Production completed: 12 January 1961. First transmission: 14 January 1961
Having escaped them last time, Dr Keel and Steed seek to bring Vance into custody. Keel infiltrates Vance's gang, whilst Steed manipulates Vance's rival, Mason. Both gangs realise too late that they have been deceieved and Peggy's murder is successfully avenged.
* mug shots in sepia denote images sourced from other productions.
|Prentice||Lionel Burns regular|
|Lale||Redmond Bailey regular|
|Pretty Boy||Clifford Elkin regularDoctor Who|
|Bart||Neil McCarthy regularDoctor WhoDangermanThe ProfessionalsJason KingDepartment SThe SaintRandall and Hopkirk|
|Nick Mason||Charles Morgan regularDoctor WhoDad's ArmyThe Saint|
|Spicer||Godfrey Quigley regularThe ChampionsDoctor WhoThe Saint|
|Dr David Keel||Ian Hendry regularNew AvengersDangermanPolice SurgeonThe SaintThe Sweeney|
|Dr Tredding||Philip Stone regular007Carry On..Indiana JonesThe SaintJason King|
|Carol Wilson||Ingrid Hafner regularPolice Surgeon|
|Lila||Joyce Wong Chong|
|John Steed||Patrick Macnee regularNew Avengers007|
|Ronnie Vance||Robert James regularDoctor WhoThe ProfessionalsBlake's 7|
|Det-Supt Wilson||Alister Williamson regularThe SaintDad's ArmyAdam AdamantPolice Surgeon|
|Det-Sgt||Michael Collins regular007DangermanThe Saint|
|Jackie||Carol White Carry On..|
|2nd Chinese Girl||Anna Shan-Khoo|
|Peters||Charles Bird regular|
Extras at Rising Sun - 6 Male, 1 Female : Customers, Bookie's Clerks and Police constable
|Teleplay by||Brian Clemens regularNew AvengersDangermanThe ChampionsThe ProfessionalsAdam Adamant|
|"The Avengers"Theme composed and played by||Johnny Dankworth regular|
|Designed by||Robert Fuest regularNew Avengers|
|Producer||Leonard White regularCallanPolice Surgeon|
|Directed by||Peter Hammond regular|
|Production Assistant||Paddy Dewey regular|
|Floor Manager||Patrick Kennedy regular|
|Stage Manager||Barbara Sykes regular|
|Call Boy||David Granger regular|
|Lighting Director||Bob Simmons regular|
|Operational Supervisor||Peter Wayne regular|
|Senior Cameraman||Michael Baldock regular|
|Sound Supervisor||Peter Cazaly regular|
|Vision Mixer||Del Randall regular|
- A PDF of a rehearsal script for this episode is now included on the Optimum DVD set for Seasons 1 & 2.
- This was the 2nd episode produced, with rehearsals scheduled from 31st December, 1960 at the RCA Building in Hammerskith. Camera rehearsals at Teddington Studio Two were on 11th January and 12th January, 1961, and recording to AMPEX tape on the 12th January, 1961.
- Filming took place at Studio Two, ABC TV Studios, Broom Road, Teddington, Middlesex. The production number was 3366.
- This episode was definitely stored on tape as it was broadcast in different regions on different dates; this early example of not being filmed and broadcast live is further evidence that all episodes were recorded onto tape and we hope the missing episodes may yet be located.