The Fashion Guide to Series 3 (1963–4)
Images ©1961–9 STUDIO CANAL
Striped blouse and tailored suit
She wears a silk blouse with wide tricolour stripes (the colours are unknown). The blouse has a Peter Pan collar fastened with a bow. The suit jacket is piped in black through to the lapels, cut like a morning suit with three padded buttons and cut away to reveal the waist, and a horizontal cummerbund, to match the vertical stripes of the blouse. It has no pockets so as not to affect the line of the cut. The skirt is fitted and knee-length, and has two gold tassels hanging from the waistline, in line with the collarbones (and the descended hem points of the jacket).
Black funnelneck blouse and tailored suit
She wears a black funnelneck blouse with overlapping front; it’s fastened on the left shoulder. The suit is similar to that above (in fact, the unpiped variation above may be this suit), cut like a morning suit with three padded buttons and cut away to reveal the waist; two buttons on the cuffs. It has no pockets so as not to affect the line of the cut. The skirt is fitted and knee-length.
Navy chalk striped suit
He wears a navy single-breasted three-piece suit in a bold chalk stripe. This is THE suit for series 3, worn in more than half (15) of the episodes with a variety of ties and usually a black bowler hat. The jacket has notch lapels, flap pockets on each hip and a single vent in the skirt, the cuffs are folded back with a single padded button and a strip of satin piping. The waistcoat is cut high, with five padded buttons and a silk back.
- Concerto : dark tie, white shirt, black bowler hat
- Brief for Murder : dark silk tie with diamond tiepin, two-tone shirt with white collar, black bowler hat - later with a rose in his buttonhole and at one point without the jacket
- The Golden Fleece : dark silk tie, diamond tiepin, black bowler hat and umbrella, later with a camel overcoat
- Man with Two Shadows : white shirt, dark patterned tie
- The Grandeur That Was Rome : navy bow tie with white spots, spectacles, later with black bowler hat and umbrella, then without the spectacles
- The Undertakers : navy bow tie with white spots, later with black bowler hat and umbrella, then a white carnation
- Death of a Batman : white shirt, black tie, black bowler hat and umbrella
- November Five : white shirt, navy silk tie with tiepin, black bowler hat and umbrella
- The Secrets Broker : navy silk tie with tiepin, white shirt, black bowler hat and umbrella
- The Medicine Men : white shirt, dark patterned tie
- The Wringer : dark tie, white shirt, black bowler hat and umbrella (later without the jacket)
- The Outside-In Man : dark spot/patterned tie, white shirt
- The Charmers : white shirt, dark diamond pattern tie with tiepin, black bowler hat and umbrella (this may be a continuity error)
- Esprit De Corps : dark silk tie with tiepin, white shirt
- Lobster Quadrille : white shirt, dark silk tie - patterned?? - with tiepin
Gold satin vest and frilled blouse
She wears a pale grey silk blouse with elaborate frills with gold satin vest. The vest has six padded buttons and cut to the waist rather than the hips, the blouse is long-sleeved and frilled on the plaquet, but not the cuffs, which are gathered.