Series 3 - Episode 25
Esprit De Corps
by Eric Paice
Designed by David Marshall
Directed by Don Leaver
Production Number : 3624
VTR/ABC/3481 + A,B,C,D,E,F,G!!
Teddington Studios 2 & 3
Tuesday, 10th March, 1964
|Turn Round to Studio 3||17.00-17.15|
|Camera Rehearse Inserts||17.15-18.00|
|Cam. Reh. & VTR INSERTS B, C & G||19.30-21.00|
Wednesday, 11th March, 1964
|Tea break, line up,
normal scan, make-up
Expected: 51'25" + 2 commercial breaks
Actual running time with bumpers: 51'47"
The bumpers between the acts are generally 10 seconds from fade in to the "End of Act" bumper to the end of audio before the commercial, a 10 second still without audio, then cut to the next act bumper. This would play with the theme for around 10 seconds. Accordingly, with the episodes being in 3 acts, the running time of the action is approximately a minute less than listed above, minus the opening and closing credits (normally 0'16", with a 2" fade, and anywhere from 0'41" to 1'20", hard cut or 1" fade or mix, respectively).
|London||14th March 1964|
|Sydney||2nd March 1965|
This episode was already scheduled for broadcast, 3 days later, while being produced.
|Cameras:||4 Pedestals (3 peds. in Studio 3)|
|Sound:||3 booms (2 in Studio 3) Grams F/X (N.B. A short pre-reoording, sound only, to be done at some oonvenient time during Tuesday, 10th March)|
|Telecine:||Opening AVENGERS films|
|Slide:||1 - ABC Production slide|
|VTR:||7 INSERTS - A, B, C, D, E, F, & G
|Corporal Craig||Soldier 1, Soldier 2,
Soldier 3, & Private Jessop
|Steed||Soldier 1, Soldier 2,
Soldier 3, & Private Jessop
|(firing squad - faked)|
|Sergeant Marsh||Mrs Gale||revolver|
|Captain Trench||Private Jessop||revolver|
- 00:17 - there's a black spot centre right of the screen, it must be on the transfer plate as it remains after the titles finish (in fact, it gets darker and more obvious at 00:49, fading again at 01:51) and stays on screen until 02:09. There's also a crescent-shaped smear on the camera lens, along the left edge, in this part of the VTR.
- 04:23 - Jessop raises his eyebrows at the frilly knickers in Steed's laundry bag.
- 05:07 - Mrs Craig had demonstrated clearly the first and second slots for the washing powder to Steed (03:26-03:44), but Jessop puts the powder in the second hole, not the first.
- 06:22-06:35 - intermittent distortion of the picture.
- 15:55 - Cathy says "The major objectives are these." just as she removes her coat and reveals her cleavage, and Steed quickly quips (15:59) "Highly desirable too." Moments later (17:04), when he's leaving, Cathy is lying on the couch asks him, "Anything you'd like to draw from stores?"; he smiles wickedly and says, "Yes, but uh, I doubt if you'd issue it."
- 16:07 - Cathy hands Steed her fur coat and he chucks it carelessly into a cupboard.
- 16:30 - there's a small smudge centre top of camera 1's lens [we see it again 25:10, ~36:00, ~40:00 et passim].
- 24:00 et passim - there's a small spot at top right.
- 25:39 - Is it just me, or is the scene with Admiral Barry, Air Chief Marshall (to be) Bruce and Marine Forces Commander (to be) Duncan completely pointless?
- 36:55 - more product placement, this time Veuve Cliquot (referred to as Chalons '58). Kinnear places is as near the front of the set as he can and swivels the bottle to reduce glare to ensure it gets the best visibility.
- 40:36 - there's a jump in the picture as the vision switches to the pre-recorded VTR.
- 42:39 - there's a smudge near the top left corner in the VTR for the MS of Jessop approaching Trench.
- 43:27 - Steed's "best diamond tie pin" (as he describes it to Cathy at 46:52), which he has used to bribe Jessop, is worth 150 guineas.
- 44:59 - the camera runs into something just as we get the close-up of Cathy and the picture leaps up and down.
- 48:34 - Joe Robinson accidentally crashes into Honor Blackman after he's 'shot' and she falls to the ground.
- 48:38 - a thread appear at the bottom of the screen, stuck in the transfer plate. It remains until the end of the episode.