Series 2 - Episode 5
Mission to Montreal
Teleplay by Lester Powell
Directed by Don Leaver
Production Number : 3500
Teddington Studio 2
Friday 11th May 1962
|Line up check
|VTR INSERT Recording*
* The VTR AMPEX INSERT is scene one, up until when the Director tells Joe to get make-up to "do something drastic".
Saturday 12th May 1962
|Tea break, Line up,
Normal scan, Make-up
Expected: 52'25" + 2 commercial breaks of 2'05" each
Actual running time with bumpers: 52'25"
The bumpers between the acts are generally 10 seconds from fade in to the "End of Act" bumper to the end of audio before the commercial, a 10 second still without audio, then cut to the next act bumper. This would play with the theme for around 10 seconds. Accordingly, with the episodes being in 3 acts, the running time of the action is approximately a minute less than listed above, minus the opening and closing credits (normally 0'16", with a 2" fade, and anywhere from 0'41" to 1'20", hard cut or 1" fade or mix, respectively).
||27th October 1962
||18th November 1963
||3 Booms, 2 fixed mics, Grams & Tape,
2 Prac. telephones + distort mics.
||ABC symbol, AVENGER slides, 35mm Comopt & 16mm Mute.
Click a name to see the face
- 1:49 - the camera crashes into something with a loud bang when the director asks his Assistant Director to "get makeup to do something with her".
- 2:07 - terrible picture breakup.
- 2:22 - when Peggy enters Carla's dressing room, a member of the crew is standing in the shadows behind her.
- 2:41-2:47 - It's definitely a pre-Clemens episode, not only is a woman killed on camera, but we see the bloody stilleto afterwards.
- 5:42/15:19/50:31 - the ship at night in Le Havre is different from the one that left the dock,and from that which arrives in Montreal.
- 11:16 - A thread gets caught in the transfer plate and stays at the bottom of the screen until 11:46.
- 13:06 - when Marson tells Dr King his name, someone coughs on the set.
- 15:50 - Nicholson's favoured rendezvous point is the boat deck, starboard side, third ventilator from the stairway.
- 19:52 - Steed is reprimanded for using the passenger gangway when he joins the ship as a steward.
- 25:30 (24:52) - As the camera zooms out and pans up to reveal Nicholson approaching Carla and the passenger, the boom microphone bobs into sight at the top of the screen for 15 frames (0.6 seconds).
- 26:24 - A thread gets caught in the transfer plate and stays at the bottom of the screen; it moves at 34:45, 34:54 and 36:01 and finally disappears completely at 38:45 when Act 3 starts.
- 31:20 - Dr King prepares a derivative of diamin hydronate instead of giving Carla a shot of morphine.
- 39:05 - the boom microphone dips briefly into shot as Steed goes to wake Dr King.
- 41:58 (40:45) - You wouldn't see a doctor do it nowadays, Dr King gives Carla a cigarette!
Times are from the re-mastered 2009 Optimum Releasing DVD set, any times in brackets are from the previously released DVD sets which had frames with interference or banding deleted, resulting in shorter running times.