Forum banner 2021

Important announcements about the forum - mostly the Christmas contests.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

The banner is still showing "The Frighteners" for me. Has it actually been changed yet on the forum?
Last watched: "Mandrake"
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Frankymole wrote:The banner is still showing "The Frighteners" for me. Has it actually been changed yet on the forum?
Yes, I always have to force a refresh to get it (hold down shift and reload any forum page).
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Thanks, that works!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Neil Wilson plays a lot of policemen! I think he's even one in the first Quatermass Experiment back in 1953!

Interesting he was in multiple episodes of series 1. He was also in 2 episodes of Police Surgeon the year before:

- The Bigger They Are (1960) ... PC Grayson
- Smash But No Grab (1960) ... PC. Gregson
lot of actors did just that..play familiar character...policeman, judge, mayor. etc..you may not have known -or-remembered their name, but you always recognize the face...etc
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

New banner today to mark the 60th anniversary of Death on the Slipway, the first of Peter Arne's guest star appearances.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

I remember the newspaper covering Peter Arne's murder, it was quite shocking as, at the tender age of 15, I really only read it if there was something about Dr Who and its actors. A sad loss, he was extremely good. Strange to think this was only 3 years or so after John Lennon was killed, it seemed a lifetime apart at my age then. Where do the years go?
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:I remember the newspaper covering Peter Arne's murder, it was quite shocking as, at the tender age of 15, I really only read it if there was something about Dr Who and its actors. A sad loss, he was extremely good. Strange to think this was only 3 years or so after John Lennon was killed, it seemed a lifetime apart at my age then. Where do the years go?
yes, the years do seem to barrow by..picking up speed..as the days go...Damn, hard to believe Lennon was killed in 1980....I was pushing 30...and I remember where i was...home watching Monday night football..on (U.S.) ABC..when Howard Costell...broke in with the News that Lennon was gunned down outside his apt in NYC....talk about being stunned...my jaw literally dropped to the floor..
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Sixty years today since the first broadcast of Double Danger, an entertaining but clichéed tale of gangsters and diamonds which was so... unwieldy... it was written twice!
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

A nice episode for Steed's umbrella, getting a big chunk of the action for the first time - at least until the rewrite!

Nice also to see a young Ron Pember, one of my favourite actors. The English Lee Van Cleef :)

I always wondered why Bartholomew was so happy about his heavy cupboard being moved, enabling him to clean behind it for the first time in years... who did he think was going to move it back?

On such imponderables are action-adventure series founded.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Toy Trap, a sordid un-Avengery tale of forced prostitution and human trafficking was first broadcast sixty years ago today.
Steed works alongside the teenage Bunty Seaton, and sometimes against Dr Keel! A riveting story that we are worse off for not being able to see today.
All new cast photos and production & TV Times details, and a heap of new trivia.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!