Forum banner 2021

Important announcements about the forum - mostly the Christmas contests.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Sixty years ago, The Avengers broke new ground with the silly, comedic "Christmas" episode A Change of Bait
Our heroes get locked in a cupboard and the banter from Steed makes Dr Keel increasingly morose, in thi, his last episode.

Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

... shouldn't it be the Christmas banner...?
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

darren wrote:... shouldn't it be the Christmas banner...?
We made this announcement when we started the christmas banner contest this year:

There will be a change of schedule this year as the 60th anniversary banner changes will happen for the period 9-30 December 2021, in the middle of the winning entry's display period. So that they get a week each, the "Christmas banner" will be removed on 9 December and not reappear until 6 January 2022.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:
We made this announcement when we started the christmas banner contest this year:

There will be a change of schedule this year as the 60th anniversary banner changes will happen for the period 9-30 December 2021, in the middle of the winning entry's display period. So that they get a week each, the "Christmas banner" will be removed on 9 December and not reappear until 6 January 2022.

where do I email my PDF for the 60th ?
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

mousemeat wrote:
dissolute wrote:

where do I email my PDF for the 60th ?
It's in the post, send it to patrick -at- dissolute.com.au
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

dissolute wrote:Sixty years ago, The Avengers broke new ground with the silly, comedic "Christmas" episode A Change of Bait
Our heroes get locked in a cupboard and the banter from Steed makes Dr Keel increasingly morose, in thi, his last episode.

I'd love to have seen how Ian Hendry played this. He was so versatile, and personable - he really had the "common touch" so rare on telly at the start of the 60s, and Sydney Newman (et al) saw his range and appeal which is the entire reason The Avengers ever got started. He doesn't get much chance to play it for laughs in the episodes that survive, though we have hints in his wry reactions to Steed's strange methods - and we know from things like The Adventures of Don Quick that he could go way beyond conventional drama into realms of fantasy and carry an audience with him.

Life events and issues got in the way of his career progression later, so he never fully fulfilled his potential, but when we get glimpses, it backs up Macnee's assertion that Hendry was "the fountainhead... the genius". Not only an actor but a writer, with a true ear for the book. And he remembered this episode (maybe as it was his last, who knows) and recounted amusing events from it, and one other, on This Is Your Life and in the TV Times Souvenir Special in the 70s.

I'd love to see this... maybe one day in heaven.
Last watched: "Trojan Horse"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
dissolute wrote:Sixty years ago, The Avengers broke new ground with the silly, comedic "Christmas" episode A Change of Bait

I'd love to have seen how Ian Hendry played this. He was so versatile, and personable - he really had the "common touch" so rare on telly at the start of the 60s, and Sydney Newman (et al) saw his range and appeal which is the entire reason The Avengers ever got started. He doesn't get much chance to play it for laughs in the episodes that survive, though we have hints in his wry reactions to Steed's strange methods - and we know from things like The Adventures of Don Quick that he could go way beyond conventional drama into realms of fantasy and carry an
audience with him.

Life events and issues got in the way of his career progression later, so he never fully fulfilled his potential, but when we get glimpses, it backs up Macnee's assertion that Hendry was "the fountainhead... the genius". Not only an actor but a writer, with a true ear for the book. And he remembered this episode (maybe as it was his last, who knows) and recounted amusing events from it, and one other, on This Is Your Life and in the TV Times Souvenir Special in the 70s.

I'd love to see this... maybe one day in heaven.

Always like Ian. he certainly had the acting chops...and I would have loved to see him linger with the series, a tad longer, before he went after a career in cinema..but poor personal choices, and dealing with the bottle, derailed him...and I would concur,that he never did reach his potential....It made me sad to read Gerry Anderson's comments on Ian, and his drinking on the set of Journey to the far side of the sun....
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Dragonsfield rounds out series 1 with an entertaining solo adventure for John Steed with a B-grade horror feature vibe.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Dragonsfield would be my pick for another recovered series one episode.