4%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 26

Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Patrick Macnee must have the shortest hair here in any of the Avengers episodes. Does make him look a bit younger.
QueenOfSin
Nutshell

How did Emma get out of the coffin?

Post by QueenOfSin »

I've just watched The Murder Market. I'd forgotten the plot of this one apart from the coffin scene so it was a joy to rewatch it again. It's a great episode with some super dialogue but there's a couple of things puzzling me.

Firstly I'm sure the actor playing Lovejoy has been the villain in either another episode or a James Bond film (he sounds exactly like the villain in Octopussy!)?

Second, how did Emma get out of that coffin without being seen? She obviously slipped through a moveable panel but how and when could she have done that without being spotted by the men carrying it? If it was put in a car and she climbed out she couldn't hide herself there either as they'd have been in there too.

Speaking of Emma, why has she suddenly reverted to being rather stand offish and blasé like she was in Town Of No Return? She had warmed up to Steed in the last few episodes but here she seems to have a 'only there because she's been told to be not because she wants to be' presence and gone all cold fish towards him again. Though they still have amazing chemistry.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: How did Emma get out of the coffin?

Post by Frankymole »

Because it was filmed second (well, first really, as the original The Town of No Return was made with Liz Shepherd playing Emma and it had to be remounted later down the line). At that point they were still writing Emma like Cathy Gale, who had a healthy mistrust of Steed and his deviousness.

I always assumed she slipped out of the flap soon after they fixed down the lid, while it was still in the funeral parlour, perhaps when they were getting the hearse ready and left it alone for a few minutes.

You'd think someone would've checked the corpse was actually dead, though...

Emma was protected by the power of champagne...
Last watched: "Mandrake"
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

That's right, production order was quite different to the various broadcast orders.
My website lets you sort how you want, and there's a spreadsheet you can download as well.

https://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avenge ... /series-4/
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Steven Berkoff who played Orlov in Octopussy had a part in THE GRAVEDIGGERS, if that is who you are thinking of.

Didn't Steed and Emma mention a trapdoor or false bottom after Mrs Peels lucky escape?
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Allard wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:34 pm Didn't Steed and Emma mention a trapdoor or false bottom after Mrs Peels lucky escape?
Yes, I thought so - that's what I meant by "the flap".
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

QueenOfSin wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:06 pm Firstly I'm sure the actor playing Lovejoy has been the villain in either another episode or a James Bond film (he sounds exactly like the villain in Octopussy!)?
Yes, he was the diabolical mastermind in "The Fear Merchants" and one of the Number Twos in "The Prisoner"
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

I would concur ...on the way it was done...damn, seems like eons ago...I'll have to drag that episode out..and re fresh it....
QueenOfSin
Nutshell

Post by QueenOfSin »

Allard wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:34 pm Steven Berkoff who played Orlov in Octopussy had a part in THE GRAVEDIGGERS, if that is who you are thinking of.

Didn't Steed and Emma mention a trapdoor or false bottom after Mrs Peels lucky escape?
Yes but even if it had a false bottom she still couldn't have slipped out when the lid was closed because it was on a table. Unless that also had a false base too :?.

No that's not who I'm thinking of, I mean the main villain in Octopussy. He sounds exactly like Lovejoy in tone, voice and manner.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

QueenOfSin wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:51 pm Yes but even if it had a false bottom she still couldn't have slipped out when the lid was closed because it was on a table. Unless that also had a false base too :?.
It was a hinged side.