Fitzroy Lane Again?!

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
unclefester
Little Wonder

Fitzroy Lane Again?!

Post by unclefester »

I'm an EPIC addict so please forgive me!! LOL

Small potatoes in the grand scheme of things but I like (love) it

When Steed and Emma have their first encounter with Mr. Kirby it happens on Fitzroy Lane. Kirby dressed as a priest cycles towards them, a quick wave as he passes by as our heroes prepare to head back to the city. Of course they must pass by Kirby one more time as he plods along.

What caught my eye was the roadway & tree line. Somehow Emma, Steed and Kirby have reversed themselves and then only later go forward for the "exit" shot. Check the tree line & the muddy tire tracks - obviously made by the camera crew setting up off road. Can't blame the crew for not moving down the laneway - easier to remain in place to get the needed imagery and call it a wrap.
EEEEEEEE333.jpg
EEEEEEEE333.jpg (90.74 KiB) Viewed 344 times

EEEEEEEE`11.jpg
EEEEEEEE`11.jpg (102.31 KiB) Viewed 344 times
Time is money so no surprise the crew simply had the actors "back up" to then finish the exit scene!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Fitzroy Lane Again?!

Post by mousemeat »

great visual snippets....which sorta tells a secondary story..per say
unclefester
Little Wonder

Post by unclefester »

Taking a second and third look at the "driveaway" image I do not believe that is Diana or Patrick in the Lotus. I think Patrick & Diana were on their way back to the studio when the driveaway scene was shot.

Also there are some minor but detectable changes to the roadway/soft shoulder especially on the left as you look at both images. Don't think the camera position changed at all though.

Any explanation? Possibly shot on different days? That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. Possibly a brief rain shower? There does seem to be a bit more moisture in the driveaway image than that of the image with Kirby alone.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I just checked and the tree branches show it is further along - there are some distinctive ones. You can see the rut from the Lotus leaving on the left of the lane, so they set up the shot for the car and filmed them passing Kirby, THEN had him go back up the lane and pedal towards where he had been at the start of the previous shot.
Remember the size of the cameras back then, they wouldn't want to set it up a second time so Kirby's approach is zoomed in, while the departure is not.
Also, I'm pretty sure it IS Rigg & Macnee from the bluray.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

yeah, the cameras back then, were huge, heavy, and bulky..not easily moved..especially outdoors, with soggy -or-wet grounds.

Is it Patrick? etc...I can't tell...I'll try and take a shot, enlarge and see...but me eyes, aren't what they used to be..lol

ahhh, that Lotus...
unclefester
Little Wonder

Post by unclefester »

dissolute wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:12 pm I just checked and the tree branches show it is further along - there are some distinctive ones. You can see the rut from the Lotus leaving on the left of the lane, so they set up the shot for the car and filmed them passing Kirby, THEN had him go back up the lane and pedal towards where he had been at the start of the previous shot.
Remember the size of the cameras back then, they wouldn't want to set it up a second time so Kirby's approach is zoomed in, while the departure is not.
Also, I'm pretty sure it IS Rigg & Macnee from the bluray.
Thanks!

I see what you are referring to regards the tree branches - a definite difference
Used the road & the trees proper but never thought of looking at the branches.

Appreciate your help as always!