Avengers Day - January 7th

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Allard
The Ministry

Avengers Day - January 7th

Post by Allard »

On the 7th of January 1961 The Avengers premiered with Hot Snow the very first episode. Originally only part of the UK got to see it, it was a long way from two crime fighters in raincoats to leather booted heroines for which The Avengers would be remembered. Interesting thing is that it was recorded on the 30th of December 1960, which genuinely means the show was in production through all of the sixties.

Allard
The Ministry

Re: Avengers Day - January 7th

Post by Allard »

I'm commemorating it this year by watching what remains of HOT SNOW and the reconstruction, followed up by Avenging the Avengers.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Allard, sounds lovely...wouldn't that be a treat, if the missing 2nd half of hot snow, finally turned UP ?

myself, I'll watch a couple of episodes from Gale, Peel, and Tara..to celebrate Avengers day
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I'll celebrate by restarting my journey through the tail end of Cathy's era and finally get on to the BluRays... I hope!

Happy 63rd, everyone :)
Last watched: "Trojan Horse"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Think about it..it truly IS a journey..watching the series from it's humble beginnings with Ian & Patrick, to Venus/Cathy/Emma/Tara episodes...
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I've been on Summer hols but I'm back so I'll celebrate by continuing my rewatch of series 4.
Next up is Dial a Deadly Number which is not one of my favourites but a lot of people rate it highly so I'll see if I learn something new and come to a greater appreciation this time round. It happened with Trojan Horse, so anything's possible!
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
rob2bob
Nutshell

Post by rob2bob »

dissolute wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:07 am I've been on Summer hols but I'm back so I'll celebrate by continuing my rewatch of series 4.
Next up is Dial a Deadly Number which is not one of my favourites but a lot of people rate it highly so I'll see if I learn something new and come to a greater appreciation this time round. It happened with Trojan Horse, so anything's possible!
I know this is a month late from your posting, but I am just rewatching season 4 and indeed Dial a Deadly Number was the one watched last night here! It has been a number of years 'away'.

Whilst this is not my favourite episode either, on this watch I picked up more on the clever and witty dialogue between Emma and Steed plus the social 'status' in many scenes. The 'sherry and biscuits' amused me... so I just had to Google that.

Here is a link to another reviewer on another website.

https://moviesteve.com/avengers-s04-e10 ... ly-number/
“agreeable, well-rounded, and a little on the flinty side”; some say “venerable, devious, and a little ambivalent”
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

I did restart and thoroughly enjoyed Death a la Carte, which is nice since I tended to ignore or forget all about that one before. I love the goof where keys are thrown to one of the heavies and he fails to catch them, they go flying off onto the floor and he smirks (possibly through embarassment). But the interplay of the chefs, Steed's bluffing (or is it?) and the twist about the ruler's long-expected but somehow earlier-than-expected death are all good.

I've now stalled partway through Don't Look Behind You which, despite its evident quality and superb atmosphere-building, I find very cold and a bit distasteful given what I now know of Thriller and other Clemens productions like And Soon The Darkness. It's not the Avengers I have come to know and love through seasons 1-3 so far, and without the leavening of humour from later seasons, it feels too sinister.
rob2bob
Nutshell

Post by rob2bob »

Frankymole wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:01 pm I did restart and thoroughly enjoyed Death a la Carte, which is nice since I tended to ignore or forget all about that one before. I love the goof where keys are thrown to one of the heavies and he fails to catch them, they go flying off onto the floor and he smirks (possibly through embarassment). But the interplay of the chefs, Steed's bluffing (or is it?) and the twist about the ruler's long-expected but somehow earlier-than-expected death are all good.
Dare I say this out loud on this forum. … after all these years I am still a pre-season 4 virgin.
“agreeable, well-rounded, and a little on the flinty side”; some say “venerable, devious, and a little ambivalent”
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

rob2bob wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:11 pm Dare I say this out loud on this forum. … after all these years I am still a pre-season 4 virgin.
Nothing wrong with that! You will have a lot of interesting things to discover, if you dip your toes into the early years' murky waters...

I found them a lot easier to handle than most fans do, because I got used to "as live" videotape studio productions from watching a lot of 1960s Doctor Who in my younger days.

The trick is not to compare them with the filmed seasons, they are a different beast. I enjoy them for their unique "flavour" and admire the ingenuity of the ABC crew and the valiant cast dealing with all sorts of problems and constraints you just don't get with film.

Anyway I should increase my pace and catch up with the start of season 4... it's been too many years since I've seen it.