1.22 - Kill the King

dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I'm a bit sad that nobody picked on my use of the words "Crichton-Bull of the F.O." ...
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

dissolute wrote:I'm a bit sad that nobody picked on my use of the words "Crichton-Bull of the F.O." ...
Well you said it may be a pun on Carlton-Brown of the FO... not much more to say than that :)
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Sounds right. And they would both have eaten Steed alive if he had become their husband for real. I think he is the eternal bachelor - whether he wants to be, or not. And they're definitely merry widows!
yes....100 %...he was truly the eternal bachelor..and certainly not one to settle down..lol
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I've gone back through the first 22 episodes and updated them all to have more direct quotes from the scripts, and to beef up the TV Times listing coverage. Let me know what you think!
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Ooh I will! Sounds great. As it's Nick "Big Finish" Brigg's birthday I've had Series 1 on my mind. I really ought to carry on with series 2 sometime. After Traitor in Zebra most of them will be an anti-climax.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

dissolute wrote:I've gone back through the first 22 episodes and updated them all to have more direct quotes from the scripts, and to beef up the TV Times listing coverage. Let me know what you think!
I love Tuke proudly boasting about his "private elephant", that whole speech just tickles me. Avengers humour at its best. :)

It is also another case of the classic foreshadowing, like the ambiguous wording you mentioned from the Major. Tuke's "I like it. I like him come to that. I’d be daft to let anything happen to him and I’m not daft son, just remember that" is eerie in retrospect, and simultaneously more honest.

One of the rare (perhaps the only?) stories where the villains get away with the crime, unpunished. In this case there little "avenging" except perhaps taking out some incidental rebel assassins along the way.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:I've gone back through the first 22 episodes and updated them all to have more direct quotes from the scripts, and to beef up the TV Times listing coverage. Let me know what you think!

wow, thanks ! such a great body of work..timeless
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Frankymole wrote:
I love Tuke proudly boasting about his "private elephant", that whole speech just tickles me. Avengers humour at its best. :)

It is also another case of the classic foreshadowing, like the ambiguous wording you mentioned from the Major. Tuke's "I like it. I like him come to that. I’d be daft to let anything happen to him and I’m not daft son, just remember that" is eerie in retrospect, and simultaneously more honest.

One of the rare (perhaps the only?) stories where the villains get away with the crime, unpunished. In this case there little "avenging" except perhaps taking out some incidental rebel assassins along the way.
This is a great episode for quotes, although I confess some of the others were a struggle.

I settled on a format of at least one quote per act (where I had a script or epsiode) and there were a couple that were hard to choose as there were no stand-out pieces of dialogue. "The Radioactive Man", for instance. I think that's hampered by the writer deciding immigrants will have very basic English.

I'm especially proud of my revamped TV Times coverage; I'd always sort of ignored it in the past but I had great fun working out the code for displaying a recreation of the listing and displaying it alongside the cuttings.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

dissolute wrote: I'm especially proud of my revamped TV Times coverage; I'd always sort of ignored it in the past but I had great fun working out the code for displaying a recreation of the listing and displaying it alongside the cuttings.
Good idea, rather you than me though - I just know I'd end up spelling something wrong. I'm more yer Grauniad newspaper than the TV Times. I wish I had more knowledge of the regional TV listings mags, too (like TV World), as some of those sometimes had different articles about series and actors than the TV Times.

https://www.transdiffusion.org/2014/09/ ... he-tvtimes

I also like the TV Times "tag line" you have as a summary in a different block on the plot pages.
Last edited by Frankymole on Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Frankymole wrote:
dissolute wrote: I'm especially proud of my revamped TV Times coverage; I'd always sort of ignored it in the past but I had great fun working out the code for displaying a recreation of the listing and displaying it alongside the cuttings.
Good idea, rather you than me though - I just know I'd end up spelling something wrong. I'm more yer Grauniad newspaper than the TV Times. I wish I had more knowledge of the regional TV listings mags, too (like TV Woprld), as some of those sometimes had different articles about series and actors than the TV Times.

https://www.transdiffusion.org/2014/09/ ... he-tvtimes

I also like the TV Times "tag line" you have as a summary in a different block on the plot pages.
Yes, I felt like my expanded plot summaries had buried the original short recap so I pulled out the TV Times teaser summaries.

I have TV Times listing for all but a few (using Mike Noon's old Deadline site as my reference for series 2-6 & TNA, so the quality is decidedly ropey, being scans of photocopies of microfiche prints).

If anyone has a good reference source for original listings, I'm all ears!

Ones I'm missing completely:

202 - Propellant 23 (6 October 1962, or 30 March 1963 on STV)

Tara episodes are a bloody mess as they were all over the place... these were all April-May 1969 in London. Channel & Scottish didn't show them at all. (STV gave up after "The Morning After").
625 - Get-A-Way!
627 - Pandora
628 - Requiem
631 - My Wildest Dream

TNA105 - Cat Amongst the Pigeons (12 or 16 Nov 1976, or 30 Oct 1976 in Wales)
TNA106 - Target! (23 or 26 Nov 1976, or 7 Nov 1976 in Wales)
TNA201 - Dead Men are Dangerous (8 or 9 Sep 1977)
TNA204 - The Lion and the Unicorn (29 or 30 Sep 1977)
TNA205 - Obsession (6 or 7 Oct 1977)
TNA207 - Hostage (21 Oct or 17 Nov 1977)
TNA208 - K is for Kill 1 (27 or 28 Oct 1977)
TNA211 - Gladiators (18 Nov 77 if your region aired it - most didn't! Anglia finally showed it on 6 Sep 78.)
TNA212 - Emily (1 Dec 77, or 17 Dec 77 in Wales, or 25 Nov 1977 in Yorkshire, Granda/Grampian/Border/Tyne Tees didn't show it at all)
TNA213 - Forward Base (24 or 25 Nov 1977, or 18 Nov 1977 in Yorkshire)
Mrs Peel, you're needed!