"Too Many Targets" Adaptation - released Aug 2018

Discussion of Big Finish Avengers releases including The Lost Episodes and Steed and Mrs Peel.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

paulh wrote:Yes, a series of Steed and Mrs Gale adventures would be great. Cathy has always been my second favourite female Avenger (after Tara). With so few novels and comic strips from that era, the only way an ongoing series could really happen would be for Big Finish to acquire the rights to write new stories. Fingers crossed that happens!
how difficult would that be ? it's not like the Avengers, is a 'hot property' at this moment in time...unless a potential new series, or re booted motion picture is in the pipeline..
paulh
Thingumajig

Post by paulh »

mousemeat wrote:
paulh wrote:Yes, a series of Steed and Mrs Gale adventures would be great. Cathy has always been my second favourite female Avenger (after Tara). With so few novels and comic strips from that era, the only way an ongoing series could really happen would be for Big Finish to acquire the rights to write new stories. Fingers crossed that happens!
how difficult would that be ? it's not like the Avengers, is a 'hot property' at this moment in time...unless a potential new series, or re booted motion picture is in the pipeline..
At one point Big Finish were quite keen to continue the adventures of Steed and Dr Keel following on from the success of the lost episodes range but it didn't happen. I think the rights to the Avengers must be quite complex!
Old account paulpdjh
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

paulh wrote:
mousemeat wrote:
At one point Big Finish were quite keen to continue the adventures of Steed and Dr Keel following on from the success of the lost episodes range but it didn't happen. I think the rights to the Avengers must be quite complex!

that could very well be....dealing with studio canal, might be a pain in the rump.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

All reports suggest that Canal are a nightmare to deal with.

Network Releasing's hoped release of The New Avengers has been ...delayed due to a lack of any helpful engagement with Canal.

We can but hope that the Avengers will pass into the hands of people who actually want to make the most of it!
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

darren wrote:All reports suggest that Canal are a nightmare to deal with.

Network Releasing's hoped release of The New Avengers has been ...delayed due to a lack of any helpful engagement with Canal.

We can but hope that the Avengers will pass into the hands of people who actually want to make the most of it!
I've heard that canal, can be hard to deal with..and they really don't appreciate the Avengers property..so one could wish for either a change in attitude or management, or they sell off the rights to the show, to a group that's more in tune, etc...
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I've heard the Big Finish put out all manner of dross purporting to be 'continuations' of original storylines, so Canal have a point in restricting them.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
paulh
Thingumajig

Post by paulh »

dissolute wrote:I've heard the Big Finish put out all manner of dross purporting to be 'continuations' of original storylines, so Canal have a point in restricting them.
I've enjoyed Big Finish's Avengers and Callan releases. They've all been based on contemporary material rather than new stories, though.

Big Finish do seem to release an awful lot of Dr Who - often five or more a month. I've never really been into Dr Who so have no idea what they are like, but a lot of them seem to be based on quite obscure characters!
Old account paulpdjh
paulh
Thingumajig

Post by paulh »

darren wrote:All reports suggest that Canal are a nightmare to deal with.

That's a real shame about The New Avengers. Network seems to have as good a relationship with Canal as anyone, so I can't imagine anyone else would have more success with them. I've really enjoyed Network's recent ABC Nights In releases, which must have been licensed by Canal and have recreated 13 nights viewing from a range of vintage ABC programmes. I'd only really known ABC for The Avengers and The Human Jungle before, so it has been good to see the range of programmes that they produced.
Old account paulpdjh
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:I've heard the Big Finish put out all manner of dross purporting to be 'continuations' of original storylines, so Canal have a point in restricting them.
hmm, I didn't think about that angle..if so, then Canal would have a right to restrict licensing, etc