Home video releases: Versions of episodes

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Frankymole wrote:Looks like a taco in that last pic ;)
Oh, I've never tasted a taco. Although I ate shawarma - it is quite common in Russia. :wink:
Denis
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

shawarma ? We call them kebabs or yeeros here in Australia (depending if the shop is Lebanese or Greek).

Tacos are very different - minced meat (or fish/pork/chicken) with lettuce, tomato, salsa and cheese in a hard or soft corn tortilla. (Although I understand Australia's idea of Mexican food is not considered any good by Americans).
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Shawarma and kebabs are same thing in Australia (depending if the shop is Lebanese or Greek)?

Curious. In Russia, kebabs (exactly under that name) are also popular, but a little less than shawarma. Our kebabs are served from small skewers to a plate - they are prepared mainly in indoor eateries, Shawarma is mainly served with a large skewer, with a different roast, in street stalls. So, here they eat from the hands mostly (without plates).
Denis
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Shawarma are doner kebab, not shish kebab. We don't use the word shawarma at all, just "kebab" (to mean doner kebab) if it's Lebanese or yeeros / gyros if it's Greek.

You eat doner kebab with your hands??? Filthy pigs... ours are wrapped in lebanese bread and put in a foil bag that you tear the end off. That way you never touch the greasy lamb meat, you just bite bits off the end.

(joking about the filthy pigs in case my humour is not apparent)
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:Shawarma are doner kebab, not shish kebab. We don't use the word shawarma at all, just "kebab" (to mean doner kebab) if it's Lebanese or yeeros / gyros if it's Greek.

You eat doner kebab with your hands??? Filthy pigs... ours are wrapped in lebanese bread and put in a foil bag that you tear the end off. That way you never touch the greasy lamb meat, you just bite bits off the end.

(joking about the filthy pigs in case my humour is not apparent)

oink oink..okay....and I'm joking as well.....big fan of gyros, etc...yrs ago, when I lived in Detroit, there's a section downtown called greek town, where one could sample some truly divine gyros and more....lip smacking good...