Home video releases: Versions of episodes

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Hotdog? That's Sixties London, and it's clearly a sandwich. Alex is shown holding two sandwiches wrapped in plastic and two small cartons, presumably of milk.

Interestingly, your time codes are completely different from mine, I'm looking at the UK bluray here:

1. Emma at fireplace 13:40/51:44 - she looks to the right and then gazes forward again, is that what you meant?
2. sandwich: 8:15/51:44 - in mouth
2. car 34:34/51:44 - car completely gone

The UK DVDs match your timecodes, so I assume this is because the blurays have a corrected 24fps frame rate to match the original film rather than the 25fps rate of PAL DVD.

Indeed if I compare the lengths, the bluray has 74496 frames @ 24fps and the DVD has 74500 frames @ 25fps, the missing 4 frames due to my rounding to the nearest second.

Hurray for native 24fps and soft telecine!
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

So, is this a sandwich? I will correct. :) Thanks for this information, Piers.

Yes, all the timecodes of the episodes I use from DVD PAL, since my first Avengers Blu Ray appeared quite recently. :wink: Certainly, I will use this practice further in order not to confuse people who are already used to the timecoding that I used from start.
Emma at fireplace 13:40/51:44 - she looks to the right and then gazes forward again, is that what you meant?
No! I meant she looks to the right, then gazes forward, and looks to the right again (final frames of this footage). Thus, it is cut on new remastered prints (including all Blu Rays). :(
Denis
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I assume the shots that open with the screen "brightening up" are from fades to black used for advertising (commercial) breaks. Some of the master-editors for DVD releases or broadcasts would have no use for such fade-ins as they would no longer need commercial breaks in the same places (or at all).
Last watched: "Trojan Horse"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

interesting that there are some many different versions of the 13th hole..in terms of scenes, etc....any idea why ? and what version comes off the best ?
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

denis rigg wrote:So, is this a sandwich? I will correct. :) Thanks for this information, Piers.

Yes, all the timecodes of the episodes I use from DVD PAL, since my first Avengers Blu Ray appeared quite recently. :wink: Certainly, I will use this practice further in order not to confuse people who are already used to the timecoding that I used from start.
Emma at fireplace 13:40/51:44 - she looks to the right and then gazes forward again, is that what you meant?
No! I meant she looks to the right, then gazes forward, and looks to the right again (final frames of this footage). Thus, it is cut on new remastered prints (including all Blu Rays). :(
I'm not sure what you mean by "right", I assume you mean our right - i.e. stage left.
In my blurays she looks forward/semi-right (HER right - stage right, so OUR left), then stage left, then forward/semi-right, then stage left, then forward/semi-right again. Then the scene ends.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

been eye ballin the images...and it sorta ' looks ' like a hot dog...but probably is not...a sandwich......anyhow, the thought of hot dog being wolfed down...reminds me of this ditty...(in 'e' )

you ate a hot dog, it tasted good...you ate a hot dog, I knew you would..'

hot dogs, a tasty treat, hot dogs, they can't be beat, eat one, and you'll see, hot dogs, a meaty dream '....

soft cymbal crash....
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Frankymole wrote:I assume the shots that open with the screen "brightening up" are from fades to black used for advertising (commercial) breaks. Some of the master-editors for DVD releases or broadcasts would have no use for such fade-ins as they would no longer need commercial breaks in the same places (or at all).
That's right, Franky, these black screen inserts were made for the ad inserts. :wink:
I agree that some of the master-editors for DVD releases or broadcasts would have no use for such fade-ins as they would no longer need commercial breaks in the same places, therefore, we may be surprised to find some fading and lightening in recent releases that were not present in previous releases. Curious? :wink:

B/w Emma Peel episodes:

Dial a Deadly Number
The new editions, starting with British DVD Box (2010), have a fade and lightening of the screen between the footages "Steed having a drink in Uill's office" and "Steed is going down the pub stairs", while in the early editions the frame simply changed.

The Cybernauts
The new editions, starting with British DVD Box (2010), have a fade and lightening of the screen between the footages "Emma looks at the card" and "Steed at United Automation", while in the early editions the frame simply changed.

I wonder where did they get these prints for new releases if the old ones are different (for these and other moments)? :roll:

mousemeat wrote:interesting that there are some many different versions of the 13th hole..in terms of scenes, etc....any idea why ? and what version comes off the best ?
This only demonstrates that there are several sources with different Avengers prints and for some unknown reason it is the 13th Hole most problematic from b/w Emma Peel episodes. We still don't have an uncut version of 13th Hole on the home release. I wonder if an uncut version of this episode was ever transmitted? :roll:
I find that although the latest releases contain the most complete version of the episode, I like the one footage from the all or some early editions better.

I.e:
American and French old print was as following: after the scene when Steed lying on the couch puts on his hat, is the footage "on the golf course Adams, in the presence of Jackson, looks at his watch and then puts a golf club on his shoulder".
Duration of footage: 2 seconds.

dissolute wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "right", I assume you mean our right - i.e. stage left.
In my blurays she looks forward/semi-right (HER right - stage right, so OUR left), then stage left, then forward/semi-right, then stage left, then forward/semi-right again. Then the scene ends.
I agree that the definition "stage left" is the best here, so that it is more clear to the majority.

mousemeat wrote:been eye ballin the images...and it sorta ' looks ' like a hot dog...but probably is not...a sandwich......anyhow, the thought of hot dog being wolfed down...reminds me of this ditty...(in 'e' )

you ate a hot dog, it tasted good...you ate a hot dog, I knew you would..'

hot dogs, a tasty treat, hot dogs, they can't be beat, eat one, and you'll see, hot dogs, a meaty dream '....

soft cymbal crash....

Thanks, mousemeat. :wink:
First thing I thought exactly about "hot dog" in the episode Dead Man's Treasure is that the color Avengers episodes were Americanized on several points and it seemed to me that Karl would rather eat hot dogs to please the American viewers, considering that what he eats is really more like to. :wink:

Second thing: When did hot dogs come to UK?
Even though they are are quite cheap to produce, hot dogs are not just appreciated by average people. In 1939, at a picnic in Hyde Park, first lady Eleanor Roosevelt offered her husband's guests, King George VI of England and his queen, hot dogs as part of the menu.
Denis
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

interesting info about the ad inserts for different areas-or-markets...

is there a untouched version of the 13th hole in the archives /

IN regards to the hot dog affair...circa 1939..Yeah, pretty much true..FDR and his wife had an informal state picnic at FDR's estate in hyde park...

there's a interesting film with that 'event' Hyde Park on the hudson....I believe it was released by Focus Features..or Universal......and featured Bill Murray as FDR...and covers the first meetings and picnic with FDR and the Royals...as they were over here to drum up support for supplies, and America's entry into WW2..
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

FFS, they are definitely sandwiches. You can see the square crusts in the packets.

https://imgur.com/a/M3aHGGE
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Looks like a taco in that last pic ;)
Last watched: "Trojan Horse"