No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 19

peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

6.22 - The Morning After

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate The Morning After.

Written by Brian Clemens
Directed by John Hough
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

A brief review for this rather sketchy episode. But sketches can often harbour hints of greatness. So what do we have?

Plus points:

+ Peter Barkworth gives an enchanting performance as the cowardly conjuror-turned-traitor Merlin. Great fun.
+ Brian Blessed in an early "shouty" role.
+ Joss Ackland — wasted, but still convincingly evil.
+ Great location filming (NB at no time is the town referred to as London despite what "The Avengers Dossier" claims — in fact, it is called a town rather than a city. The provincial buildings, and the fact the entire population is shown to have fled by minor roads, imply it is a small town not a city of 6 million people).

Minus points:

- The plot makes no sense. Surely the diabolical masterminds could devise a less blatant of installing a nuclear device for blackmail purposes than having fake troops stomping around rounding up journalists and shooting looters? And why install it in an old embassy?
- Very little Tara (must be a Linda-vacation week). Okay so she is not everyone's cup of tea, but the way she gets knocked out every time Steed finds her is a little obvious, and Steed needs someone to be witty to.

I was always curious to see this episode in full, having missed most of it on re-screenings and only vaguely remembering it (perhaps the true test of longevity). Since Peter Barkworth made it all worthwhile with his cheeky super-criminal arch-foe of Steed, and I enjoyed the build-up of the "where is everyone?" suspense (this episode's central "hook"), I will give it 3 out of 4 bowlers. Not classic Avengers, but classy television. 8/10.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

8/10 from me. A great plot idea and the deserted streets look great on screen. I feel slightly disappointed that Tara is knocked unconscious so early on and spends virtually the entire episode unconscious. Obviously an episode to accommodate Linda's need of a week off, but Morning after would have been so much better if Tara had woken up halfway through the episode and wandered out into the streets unaware of the danger ahead. This idea was made into the much better TNA episode, Sleeper. Rich.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

I agree that Sleeper was far better, but the Macnee/Barkworth rapport is a delight; it wouldn't have been possible with Tara awake.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

I feel like I should enjoy this episode more than I actually do. The idea is an intriguing one and some GREAT character actors are on hand, but it feels a bit flat. I like the rapport between Merlin and Steed, and am perfectly pleased with Tara not being present, but there's something missing in not having a woman for Steed to at least interact with (until the appearance of the girl reporter, which does very little). It seems slightly like a sub-par version of a Season 4 plot - it has a bit too much in common with The Hour that Never Was, but without all the ... fun.
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

3 from me. Like the reporters.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

An excellent episode, really enjoyed this one.

9 from me.
Allard
The Ministry

Re: 6.22 - The Morning After

Post by Allard »

Saw this one again not to long ago. A favourite, a genuine individual episode, as all the great ones are especially in the Tara King era.
Eerily dark in a sense, but well made with its quirky/funny moments. Barkworth, Ackland, Blessed, noteworthy cast as well.

I wonder very much whether the makers were inspired by the 1950 film SEVEN DAYS TO NOON, which features London being evacuated due to a atomic bomb threat. It reminded me strongly and the makers of the Avengers must have seen this movie. Interestingly Patrick Macnee had a bit part in it (allegedly source IMDB), didn't catch that when watching it.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that film.

It is a favourite episode of mine, Peter Barkworth is amazing as Merlin. A worthy opponent for Steed. And an untrustworthy ally! Great fun.

I like the choice of shouty BRIAN BLESSED picture at http://theavengers.tv/forever/king-17.htm
Last watched: "Mandrake"
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Allard wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:24 pm Saw this one again not to long ago. A favourite, a genuine individual episode, as all the great ones are especially in the Tara King era.
Eerily dark in a sense, but well made with its quirky/funny moments. Barkworth, Ackland, Blessed, noteworthy cast as well.

I wonder very much whether the makers were inspired by the 1950 film SEVEN DAYS TO NOON, which features London being evacuated due to a atomic bomb threat. It reminded me strongly and the makers of the Avengers must have seen this movie. Interestingly Patrick Macnee had a bit part in it (allegedly source IMDB), didn't catch that when watching it.
John Hough said the evacuation scenes in Jenny's report were stock footage, and it looks like old trucks and busees, so maybe it's from that film.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.