11%
5%

Total votes: 19

The Spaceman
White Dwarf

Fog Episode

Post by The Spaceman »

Hi everyone.

Just for everybody's interest, I'm fortunate to own 3 original Avengers scripts and the episode called Fog is actually called "The Gaslight Ghoul" on my script that belonged to Mr A.W Lumkin (Tony Lumkin).

I've not long realised this and thought it would be good for all fans to know.

Dominic. 😉
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

That's amazing, Dominic! You're very lucky to own those, original scripts are few and far between.

Now, in the interest of improving knowledge of the episodes, which other scripts do you have and do any of them have additional cast & crew credits, rehearsal & recording dates etc? Are they camera scripts, rehearsal scripts or dialogue sheets? In fact, anything you can tell us!
I for one would love to correctly identify any of the extras in the episodes if their names are listed.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

thanks for sharing, thats fascinating!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Great!

I'd love if more original scripts came to light. Certainly our knowledge of the lost Season 1 has been massively enhanced by those full scripts that have been rediscovered and adapted as audio plays or detailed episode reconstructions.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
The Spaceman
White Dwarf

Scripts Etc.

Post by The Spaceman »

Yes, i am very lucky to find the 3 scripts i have. The others i have are "Noon Doomsday" and "Who was that man i saw you with"

They came up for auction about a year ago in Birmingham. They have Mr Lumkin written in fountain pen on two of them and on the other is written Dubbing Editor. All written neatly to the top right corner. They are about 65 pages and are bigger than A4. The have the avengers written in lower case along the left hand side in black.

During my time i have met Fenella Fielding and Nicholas Smith but regrettably i was not a fan of The Avengers then as i was much younger. I think i would have talked non-stop to them about it otherwise.

I have collected furniture items and other things i have seen used in The Avengers. I even copied Tara's sofa fabric and had that made. I love 60's style anyway.

My pride and joy is owning Diana's Evening Gown from Honey For The Prince. I would love Avengerholic to make me the props to go with it. He's a genius that guy!

I also have several Old England Watches Diana wore but i cannot come across John Steed's Certina. It's seems to be an incredibly difficult model to find! I managed to find Tara's black divers watch a year ago. She wore a blue divers watch in quite a few episodes too but i don't know what model it is?

I am really indebted to everybody who has contributed so much to this website as it is a massive source of knowledge as are the other websites related to The Avengers too. Thanks everyone!

:wink: :wink: :wink:
The Spaceman
White Dwarf

Type of Scripts

Post by The Spaceman »

Those scripts i have don't mention cast and crew at all. They all begin with setting the scenes for the sets and intros of the actors and all their lines.

On the 1st page it mentions the Title and the Writer, i.e, Jeremy Burnham and at the bottom is written ABC TELEVISION STUDIOS and their address.

On the main 1st page is written ACT 1. FADE IN.

Then is mentioned the initial scene such as in "Who Was That Man I Saw You With"

1. INT. FAIRFAX'S CAR, NIGHT, (STUDIO. BACKING)

Then is described the position of the car and the actors and their movements and then all the dialogue. It's all very interesting to see the way these scrips are constructed. It's probable that the actors had the very same type of scripts as the way everything is set out would help them all to construct their style of acting out their respective scenes i would suggest.

It's a pleasure to share this info as i have learned so so much from others on this fans forum and other websites.

:) :)
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Interesting, they certainly sound like camera scripts.

If it has notes such as CLOSE SHOT or CUT TO: or WIDER ANGLE or HOLD HER it's a camera script.
If it's just character names and lines then it's a dialogue sheet.

The recently DVD & bluray sets came with PDFs of dialogue sheets and camera script for only four episodes: Split!, They Keep Killing Steed (draft version), Requiem, and Bizarre.

The Bizarre script had a tag scene very different from that finally filmed, with Mother going up in the rocket with Steed and Tara.

I would love to see yours if you have PDF copies!
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
The Spaceman
White Dwarf

Post by The Spaceman »

Hi,

I did send you a long PM a good couple of weeks ago about them, maybe it hasn't reached you.

Thanks for your info.

They do mention things though such as CUT TO (usually at the bottom of certain pages) and also END OF ACT1 - COMMERCIAL BREAK. etc etc.

So, maybe they are camera scripts then. A.W (Tony) Lumkin was the sound recordist or similar from the very early days until the very end.

I have all my Avengers series on Blu-ray, well Series 4, 5 and 6. The extra features are brilliant with all the interviews with the people who worked on the series and it's so informative.

:)
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Oh dear, something must be broken in the forum. I would love to assist any way I can, it's a shame your message seems to have not made it to me.

I just sent a test PM to you.
Last edited by dissolute on Sat May 09, 2020 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
The Spaceman
White Dwarf

Post by The Spaceman »

Hmm,

I sent 2 private messages but they appear in my Outbox and not in my sent messages box!

Weird!