18%
18%
6%

Total votes: 17

peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

6.30 - Homicide and Old Lace

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate Homicide and Old Lace.

Written by Malcolm Hulke & Terrence Dicks
Directed by John Hough

Additional material by Brian Clemens (uncredited)
Additional direction by Vernon Sewell (uncredited)
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

8 from me. Like the storytelling.
Ron
Last Watched : Small Game for Big Hunters
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Just watched this for the second time and it was worse then I remembered. The first half was no too bad, but then it just felt like an embarrassing wreck. The one thing that made it enjoyable was Gerald Harpers appearance.
TrueIndigo
Thingumajig

Post by TrueIndigo »

Interesting as another "blonde Tara" insight into the John Bryce period of series 6. My favourite moment is when Mother first comes in to face the flintlock pistols pointing at him, and Rhonda immediately pulls out two revolvers! Such a loyal lady, that Rhonda.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I gave this 2. It is without doubt the worst Avengers episode of all. As much as I enjoy Mother's character, a whole episode focussing on his retelling of this case is not what The Avengers was about. I would have loved to have seen the original episode to make a comparison.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

cyberrich wrote:I gave this 2. It is without doubt the worst Avengers episode of all. As much as I enjoy Mother's character, a whole episode focussing on his retelling of this case is not what The Avengers was about. I would have loved to have seen the original episode to make a comparison.
Rich

There's a certain book that goes into detail what The Great Great Britain Crime was like, I know this because I've read the shooting script.
peabody

Post by peabody »

I really dislike this one. Most likely the worst episode of The Avengers in existence.
peabody

Post by peabody »

Well, I gave this one another try... and boy, does it stink. It really is terrible with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I can understand Brian Clemen's idea behind it and appreciate the work the team did trying to save the material, but they should have left that original footage on the cutting room floor. It doesn't work at all. There's absolutely no flow and the story is a giant mess. In fact, it took me two days to watch the entire episode as I gave up after the first 20 minutes and finished it the day after.

It's slightly reminiscent of "The Girl Who Was Death", but that The Prisoner episode is a masterpiece compared to this.

I don't think I'll want to return to this episode ever again. :oops:
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

It's terrible - but for me the bits that don't work at all are the framing scenes that were written and filmed on Clemens' watch.

I can't imagine that the original Great Great Britain Crime could possibly have been worse than the abomination that was transmitted.

Quite possibly the worst Avengers episode of all time. Fortunately, there are very few others that descend to anywhere near its low level of quality.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

Watched this again early this morning, I quite like it, there is much to enjoy and to amuse in its uniqueness, not always for the right reasons granted. Joyce Carey as aunt Harriet is simply wonderful, as is Gerald Harper playing Col Corf, and Keith Baxter just bewitches me as Dunbar. The scenes between mother and his aunts are amusing, Patrick Newell does a grand job holding it altogether. Tara dressed as a cheap tart always make me laugh, what where they thinking ! Steed in a light grey suit and caramel coloured bowler doesn't work. he just looks off for the first time in the series. As to why there are six Christmas cards on the Aunts fireplace is a mystery, especially as there are no signs of any other festive decorations anywhere. Plus, why does Steeds apartment have two fireplaces in this episode ? The blooper of the van driving off before the last henchman has time to get in is a hoot. The tag scene is unique, its the only tag that doesn't feature Tara and the alternative closing theme is a nice touch. A patchwork episode that is obviously nowhere near the standard of the rest of series, but it's certainly not as bad as some like to make out.
Last edited by Avengerholic on Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:22 am, edited 3 times in total.