No votes
No votes
4%
No votes

Total votes: 24

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

dissolute wrote:Yes, Gordon Webster is Steed. It was all a set-up, they knew Brodny would be at the fashion show and would ring to check so they had a recorded message ready and waiting. I think Ivenko had already been recruited as a double agent as he nudges Brodny to make sure he's watching the fashion show and sees that Webster loos like Steed.
That's the odd thing... it all falls down with the phone calls.

As I said in my review:

"Bizarrely, 'Colonel Psev' manages to telephone the Russian quartet at one point, even though they are all his constituents and all in the room together! Why was this arranged, and how? Also, when Brodny is at the fashion show his (sensible) first action is to telephone Steed to see if he is at his apartment — Steed's dialogue in answering the phone shows he is genuinely puzzled by the silent caller; so this cannot be a tape. What if Brodny had spoken? Could the 'Steed' tape operated by Major Carson have coped?"
Last edited by Frankymole on Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

A wonderful episode combining the quirky comedic but with a good thriller element. Steed at his cunning best and takes the viewer along with Emma in the suspense. The model planes, the fashion show,... could only be the Avengers, lovely entertaining. Actually a good emblematic episode of the show, yet feels very much its own thing.
dissolute
The Ministry

4.10 - Two's a Crowd

Post by dissolute »

Frankymole wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:24 am As I said in my review:
"Bizarrely, 'Colonel Psev' manages to telephone the Russian quartet at one point, even though they are all his constituents and all in the room together! Why was this arranged, and how? Also, when Brodny is at the fashion show his (sensible) first action is to telephone Steed to see if he is at his apartment — Steed's dialogue in answering the phone shows he is genuinely puzzled by the silent caller; so this cannot be a tape. What if Brodny had spoken? Could the 'Steed' tape operated by Major Carson have coped?"
We never hear the other side - and Elena quickly stops Ivenko from using that phone when he broke the model "G for George", so I suspect it was all faked and they were pretending to talk to Psev.
Listening to it, I'm sure it's meant to be a tape recording of Steed as they expected the call, it sounds more 'metallic' than a normal phone distort.

By the way, I watched this today and I noticed for the first time that Diana had a stand-in for the riding scene in the tag, which makes sense as she had to learn to ride for "Silent Dust".

Also, do you think it's Richard Bebb doing the commentary for the fashion show??
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.