3%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 34

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Darren wrote:This episode is Steed and Emma, an atmospheric empty location, great direction, great music and a milk float (with added laughing gas and Roy Kinnear).

10/10
just got done watching this episode on DVD...AND AGAIN, one of the better episodes of series 4....
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

denis rigg wrote:
MikeR wrote:Denis

Could the lady with Patrick and Diana, holding the file be Continuity girl June Randall?

The bottom image is June Randall on the set of Brian Clemens and Albert Fennell’s Hammer movie Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter.

I think we can say very high probability that it is June Randall, but in both cases we are seeing her in a profile in glasses, which does not allow us to say with certainty.

The external structure of the ear seem the same for photo with June below and photo from Avengers set:

Other clues: nose, wrinkles and the size of the face.
Glasses plays an important role, often people get used to one style of "clothing" and wear for a long time before the change.
Color of hairs.

Yes, very similar...
Definitely June.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
QueenOfSin
Nutshell

The Hour That Never Was episode

Post by QueenOfSin »

I watched this last night. It's an episode I've only seen once before and I remember it being quite boring and not one to rush to view again. Anyway, as I'm working my way through S4 I've inviteably reached it and thought I'd give it another go. Maybe it's better than I remember I thought. Nope :shock:.

How can an episode which features only Steed and Emma for nearly the entire first half be so dull?! OK granted they have some decent lines and interaction but on the whole it's very meh. I'm honestly shocked at seeing the ratings it gets because imo it's really not that good. It might have an enjoyably eerie atmosphere but that's about it. Just watching them wander about finding nothing gets very monotonous and then Emma just dissappears completely and Steed doesn't even think about where she is! He doesn't ask anyone about her or show any concern as he usually does. Then she suddenly reappears at the end tied up, so she couldn't call for assistance which is fair enough, but you'd think Steed would have gone looking for her ages ago knowing there was something weird going on! He just seems to forget about her in the second half(as does the script!).
Last edited by QueenOfSin on Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mousemeat

Re: The Hour That Never Was episode

Post by mousemeat »

good question...then again, each person who's just a viewer, or a hard core fan, ( like myself) will have a different impression-or-opinion ..the actors, were simply following the script, as it was written...of course, they do make adjustments, from time to time...I understand your concern 'bout the episode..but I never had any problems with it....
QueenOfSin
Nutshell

Re: 4.13 - The Hour That Never Was

Post by QueenOfSin »

I don't have any problems with it, I just think it's a dull one and wondered why others rate it so highly. They must be seeing something I'm not :P.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

It would be a dull world if we all liked the same things :D

I'm glad that even episodes I'm not that keen on have their die-hard fans.

My personal opinion about some of them has changed over the years, and viewing them at different stages of my life. I used to find Venus Smith totally useless but now I'm quite fond of her (most of the time) - mainly due to Julie Stevens' personality. She was really short-changed by the series' producers.

I'll always think season 2 of The New Avengers has more than its fair share of duds though! :D
Last watched: "Trojan Horse"
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Hmmm. It is all about atmosphere, it's true.
Steed doesn't forget Mrs Peel, he's desperately trying to work out what's happened to her - and the villains are suggesting she never came, trying to brainwash him.
Personally, I love it, it's the almost perfect almost-hour of television.

I'm about to watch it again so I'll let you know if my opinion changes,
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

THTNW is a fine episode, but it never has worked for me.

Not shortage of great lines, shots, eerie atmosphere. Yet the episode seems one giant plothole to me.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Allard wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:53 pm THTNW is a fine episode, but it never has worked for me.

Not shortage of great lines, shots, eerie atmosphere. Yet the episode seems one giant plothole to me.
Yes, I have a few like that. I can admire them without truly loving them.

Not this one though :D
Last watched: "Trojan Horse"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

always liked this episode..is it one of the best, of season four ? No. would I consider it one of the poorer examples of that season ? hardly...it sits in my opinion, daft in the middle...