3%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 36

Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Great episode, and an amazing introduction to both Emma Peel and the shifting tone of Season 4. Also establishes Steed and Mrs. Peel's relationship very openly, in a way that can't be ignored.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

The plot takes the show in possibly it's most outrageous fantasy yet...?

The idea of an unnamed foreign country taking over a remote seaside village without anyone noticing is a big conceit or maybe it wouldn't have seemed so outrageous at the time without the access to the means of communication that we know possess.

This story rather suggest the idea that the Avengers expose the evil doing and then the authorities sweep in and clean up the remains.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Simply iconic. Such fantastic guest characters and the perfect mix of humour and darker drama. The sets and locations are a delight and Steed's scenes in the deserted airbase/playground are simply wonderful.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

What always stands out for me in this episode is:
Steed and Peel standing one atom apart in the upstairs hotel room--I believe they had some sexual intimacy as soon as the fade-out began. ;-)

Steed setting Piggy's mustache on fire (as dissolute mentioned)--I love seeing inside Steed, what lurks beneath that "save the vase while fencing" Edwardian gentleman surface. There's a lot of anger and a willingness to do whatever he needs to do.

Steed fighting off the five younger attackers behind the closing door. While some fans think it is cool for Emma to snap her fingers while facing an attacker, I find it very extremely cool that Steed took out so many attackers without even getting out of breath.

I liked the atmosphere, remote, windy and grey, threatening.
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

7/10. A pretty good episode for most of the time but the ending doesn't work for me.
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

Except for 2, all episodes of season four deserve 10/10.
dissolute
The Ministry

Re: 4.14 - The Town of No Return

Post by dissolute »

I'm watching this again and it's a sheer delight, but it occurs to me I don't know where the original ad breaks were.

Was the end of Act 1 the fade when Smallwood is killed, or the fade after Steed suggests it's time Mrs Peel were in bed? The first is more dramatic, but the second seems to fit the "next day" setting of the next scene.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
MaxRebo120
White Dwarf

Post by MaxRebo120 »

9/10

A pretty perfect introduction to the Emma Peel era. Even during it's sillier moments, the monochrome episodes always retain a certain atmosphere.
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

Just watched the Imprint Blu Ray on a 4K TV, so upscaled as well.

Quite a bit of jolly, this one. The swordfight intro to Emma complete with banter seems to be what the Avengers big-budget film was trying to get to, but they suffered from a distinct lack of Macnee and Rigg. Here it was just fun! Also, the appearance of the villain in his black bag wrapping may have been the inspiration for the film's clear plastic gerbil balls in the water.

I never noticed that the beach scene with Steed & Peel was shot on set, but was more obvious on the upgrade - saw the shadow of a lighting rig on the upper right side of the sky as Emma was looking down at then coming down the hill to Steed.

Mother appeared at an entire different character - a cousin perhaps?

Juliet Harmer was a wicked school marm, who got launched into the air by Mrs. Peel in their final fight!

The first appearance of many for disused WWII airfields... I'm thinking there will be much to make of WWII's shadow lingering over Avengersland.
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

Oh, and one other interesting note... towards the end, when uncovering the baddie's underground lair, Emma spies some tech knobs and offers to turn a few, but Steed says nay, as that might send them "into orbit".... which eerily foreshadows Steed and Tara's fate in Bizarre!