No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 36

peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

4.14 - The Town of No Return

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate The Town of No Return, produced Thursday 29th October 1964 to Friday 13th November 1964 (Abandoned original) and Wednesday 21st July 1965 to c. Friday 30th July 1965 (Remounted scenes).

Teleplay by Brian Clemens
Directed by Roy Baker
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Just noticed these; I like that we have these episode specific threads to talk in.

10/10

My very first Avengers experience. I must have been six or seven when Channel 4 showed this episode but I recalled it so vividly, the deserted army base, the scenes in the pub, the windswept village, Mrs. Peel, the music.

My favourite cosy Avengers episode. I love the train scene with the tea things (marzipan delight!). It's full of wonderful little touches.

Perfection. There was a time when i wanted all Avengers episodes to live up to this one.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

I don't think there is a better Avengers episode and it offers the perfect balance between the claustrophobic, unfriendly pub and the agoraphobic Norfolk coastline. The 'badger hunting' is a highlight of the season.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

10/10! Definitely in the top 3 episodes of all time, along with Hour that never was and Cybernauts. Witty script, great set pieces, beautifully filmed. Like a lot of season 4 episodes this feels more like a cinema release from 1965, as opposed to a tv episode. Pure class :!: Rich.
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

I gave 9
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

The Town of No Return is this week's Episode Review Circle choice.

So... please watch the episode over the coming week and post your reviews in this thread. :)
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

This episode is a real mission statement for the new film series. It open with this wonderful windswept location (anyone who's been on the beach in Norfolk will know that wind!!:)), it's airy and vast. The series had been all studio and contained - if they started with any of the other early season 4 episodes they would have been interior openings but this is showcasing what the show can now do on film. No silent footage with a crudely added soundtrack and tweeting birds!

It's a wonderful daft opening. A man walks out of the sea seen by a fisherman in what looks like a large bin bag. The wonderfully ludicrousness of it is that he emerges from the container wearing a suit and carrying an umbrella. He talks to the fisherman but neither acknowledge the ridiculousness of the situation - that's very Avengers!

It's the perfect cosy episode, gorgeous location. I used to hope and probably still do tha such a place as Little Bazeley still exists, all cut off and broody, where you can stay at the relic of an old pub.:)

Johnson's score is one of my favourites with some lovely variations on the main theme - I especially love the Emma Peel introduction piece. The film tried to mimic this scene and failed to match it in any way!

I adore this episode. This is comfort viewing to remind myself how wonderful this series it - sit back and just absorb it's delights!
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

This classic is surely in most fan's all time top 10 episodes. It epitomises season 4 perfectly. There are some wonderfully eerie and deserted locations in this episode that helps create that familiar Avengerland we all love. I especially love the deserted airfield scene. Beautifully shot. Emma's fencing introductory scene is a delight, as is their train journey to Little Bazeley with Steed serving tea. The dark and windy nocturnal manhunt has obvious shades of Hound of the Baskervilles. This episode almost feels like an Ealing classic comedy at times, especially the scenes in Piggy's Inn. The fact that this episode is a mixture of new footage plus footage from the original pilot doesn't show at all in this wonderfully paced episode. I'm guessing that all footage without Diana is from the pilot. Would this be correct :?: This was the ideal season opener, though I was surprised to learn it was the season closer in the US. I can't find anything to grumble about with this one. 8) 10/10.
Spaceship Dispatcher
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Spaceship Dispatcher »

Watched this episode only a couple of weeks ago with friends and, despite having seen it a few times, found that I still can't really get on the same page as fans of the episode. To me it's very nondescript, one of my least favourite Diana Rigg episodes, and definitely not one that I would show a new viewer. Things don't add up, even by Avengers standards, and the mystery is 'solved' by the usual big showdown but without really exploring the purpose or method of the villains' scheme. Even having seen it so recently there's nothing really that I can recall liking about it to discuss. Sorry!
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

For viewers back in 1965, this episode would have been a dramatic start to the season - not only do we have the extensive location work but we're introduced to our new leading lady - and then she in tantalisingly out of reach, wearing a fencing mask, so the revelation of her is held back just that moment longer, enabling Rigg and Macnee to engage in repartee before her appearance.

The plot is fairly straight-forward if quirky and the real strength is in Terence Alexander and Patrick Newell's guest turns. Steed is established as already well known to Mrs Peel, and she knows that he's already planned their mission before he asks her.

Favourite moments - the tea set being pulled from the carpet bag and Steed's viciousness when setting fire to Piggy's moustache - they must have had crew close at hand to prevent a serious injury to Mr Alexander!

Not in my top 10, but fairly near the top.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.