Joanna Lumley

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

One of Joanna's more recent roles is a guest appearance in a BBC comedy called Motherland, a role she is reprising in the new Christmas special. I've never seen this show. I'll have to see if it's on the iplayer. Has anyone seen this yet? What did you think of this show and Joanna's performance :?:
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I haven't seen it but she is always adept at comedy. And guest roles in other people's series. Remember the Lovejoy series where he ended up wanting to marry her? Who wouldn't...!
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:Image
One of Joanna's more recent roles is a guest appearance in a BBC comedy called Motherland, a role she is reprising in the new Christmas special. I've never seen this show. I'll have to see if it's on the iplayer. Has anyone seen this yet? What did you think of this show and Joanna's performance :?:

I'm amazed of her acting range..and it only gets better with time...she's come a long ways from her debut in OHMSS, and several yrs later, with the new avengers...
SonofTPMcKenna
Nutshell

Post by SonofTPMcKenna »

I would say it was just a couple of years back, but 2005-2007 would be more like it. Anyway, she did a tremendous job in Hugo Blick's Sensitive Skin as just gone sixty woman 'coping with life's unexpected problems'.

She had a sister to him she was desperately close, played by the brilliant Maggie Steed, but with whom she'd have terrible, squabbling fall outs.

It was a tremendous performance of great subtlety.

In Motherland she plays a grandmother, so remote from the notion of grandchildren, one actually feels some sympathy for the dreadful Amanda (Lady Punch).
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

just watched the Wolf of wall street..and loved her small role as Jordan's 'aunt' who helped him launder money...
Frankymole

Re: Joanna Lumley

Post by Frankymole »

Christmas treat... new interview...

"As a special Christmas treat Rob welcomes the Absolutely Fabulous national treasure and living legend Joanna Lumley on the pod this week. With an extensive and eclectic career under her belt, Rob finds out what London was like in the swinging sixties, how Joanna landed the role of Patsy in Ab Fab and what it was like working with Margot Robbie and Martin Scorsese."

The New Avengers first mentioned at 11'10".

Last edited by Frankymole on Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

THANKS for posting this...can't wait to dive into it..
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

The full-length one (audio only) is well worth a listen too (there are links below the video).

(Mousemeat will be please to hear that they chat about Elvis Presley and his acting from about 32 mins in.)
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Talking about the 'King' indeed!......Lumley is a treasured asset....great link...
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

My friend Phil also mentioned this on 3 January, is it the same interview?
Just on Internet in the lounge, TV on in background, the show was the daily BBC show discussing topical subjects called the One Show. one of the guests is Joanna Lumley, I looked up to watch her interview, she discussed a helicopter stunt she did on The New Avengers including the relevant clip, she mentioned the budget constraints was the reason she did it rather than a stuntwoman, also that she wasn't scared but it was uncomfortable.

It will be on BBC iPlayer for a few weeks, broadcast today 7pm on BBC1, will it accessible were you are?
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.