The Avengers dvd set 3 (series 4) from Optimum

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Yes, the Adam Adamant set is the worst case I have. They are held too firmly in place. All my other sets aren't too bad. I think I'll get some paper cd sleeves to store them in, so I don't have to fight to remove them in future. Bending the discs will cause stress which maybe triggers disc rot.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

cyberrich wrote:Franky, sorry to hear your Adam Adamant set has disc rot. I've looked at mine and can't see anything sinister on the playing surface, though I have no idea what disc rot looks like.
It's a kind of cloudy "bloom" obscuring the shiny playing surface under the clear plastic coating. Allegedly, some disks can be cleaned of it by use of a mild detergent (washing up liquid) mixed well with warm water but I'm not risking it, anyway I don't think it'd work through the sealed plastic. Even in some (most?) cases where the cleaning got rid of the rot it soon came back.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Yes, my Adam Adamant case has pretty much completely fallen apart, those centre spindles are so flimsy.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

Disc rot is a nightmare. I have a complete season of The Untouchables completely destroyed.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Yes, I noticed this before when I worked on the video market - as a result, if some of my videotapes after a long time have only a problem with sound at the beginning (does not always depend on rewind) for short periods, then some discs are not readable at all (even at computer). I began to trust more videotapes.
Denis
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Analogue eventually beats digital for survival ability. Digital either works or doesn't, usually. Rarely in-between. As an army friend of mine said, a paper map is better than an electronic GPS device (like SatNav), because if a bullet goes through a printed paper map, it still works.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

Only one or two of my Avengers VHS tapes (with 4 episodes on them) don't play well; VHS is generally nice and simple. And the grandsons thought the noisy tape counter was cool.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Frankymole wrote:Analogue eventually beats digital for survival ability. Digital either works or doesn't, usually. Rarely in-between. As an army friend of mine said, a paper map is better than an electronic GPS device (like SatNav), because if a bullet goes through a printed paper map, it still works.
Oh, golden words by your army friend, Franky! :) My mother constantly complains about her e-reader, which is buggy at times. Imagine reading an e-book and suddenly freezing of page. This definitely won't happen with a paper book. :wink: Of course, you can read on other electronic devices, but for example on myself, I notice that your eyes get tired more from reading from a screen, than on a paper. I'm sure John Steed (as a conservative) would agree with us. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Last edited by denis rigg on Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denis
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

denis rigg wrote:
Frankymole wrote:Analogue eventually beats digital for survival ability. Digital either works or doesn't, usually. Rarely in-between. As an army friend of mine said, a paper map is better than an electronic GPS device (like SatNav), because if a bullet goes through a printed paper map, it still works.
Oh, golden words by your army friend, Franky! :) My mother constantly complains about her e-reader, which is buggy at times. Imagine reading a e-book and suddenly freezing of page. This definitely won't happen with a paper book. :wink: Of course, you can read on other electronic devices, but for example on myself, I notice that your eyes get tired more from reading from a screen, than on a paper. I'm sure John Steed (as a conservative) would agree with us. :wink: :wink: :wink:
well...if the EMP pulse clobbers us, then there will be no more episodes to watch...lol
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

mousemeat wrote:
denis rigg wrote:
Oh, golden words by your army friend, Franky! :) My mother constantly complains about her e-reader, which is buggy at times. Imagine reading a e-book and suddenly freezing of page. This definitely won't happen with a paper book. :wink: Of course, you can read on other electronic devices, but for example on myself, I notice that your eyes get tired more from reading from a screen, than on a paper. I'm sure John Steed (as a conservative) would agree with us. :wink: :wink: :wink:
well...if the EMP pulse clobbers us, then there will be no more episodes to watch...lol
Yes, any screen definitely does its job. :)
Denis