The Avengers dvd set 3 (series 4) from Optimum

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

cyberrich wrote:Disc rot! That's awful. I haven't noticed that. Yet. I'm glad I've still kept all my videos :!:
My expensive Adam Adamant Lives! set has disk rot... I know it's a rival to the Avengers but I still love it!!
Last watched: "Trojan Horse"
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Frankymole wrote:
cyberrich wrote:Disc rot! That's awful. I haven't noticed that. Yet. I'm glad I've still kept all my videos :!:
My expensive Adam Adamant Lives! set has disk rot... I know it's a rival to the Avengers but I still love it!!
That's one set that I worry about having issues with as I know that replacing it would be...challenging if not impossible.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I back my discs up so I don't have to use them.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

It was just a speck of dust on disc 1 of series 4. I gently wiped it off and it plays perfectly again. I wouldn't have thought such a tiny speck of dust would have caused a problem.I store everything horizontally and hold the discs by the edges without touching the playing surface and I just hope for the best :!: That's a shame about your Adam Adamant set. I'd better check mine. :shock: I read somewhere that manufacturers reckon official dvds should last over 50 years,but it looks like no matter how well we look after them,nothing is guaranteed. Rich.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
mousemeat wrote:
Ian Wegg wrote:Video suffers from decomposition a lot more than discs. I've only had one or two DVDs fail on me but my VHS collection is deteriorating alarmingly.
exactly...yeah, there is some DVD / CD rot...usually caused by plastic disks getting brittle, etc...having the discs, not cleaned of 'oil' from handling, speeds up the process...as well as temps up/down etc

VHS tends to fail due to constant playing....i.e. chroma bleeding-or-dropping out...also temps as well...the tape / plastics within the case, also begins to break down...storing them near a magnetic field, is a kiss of death..

on the flip, I know a few people, who actually prefer VHS over DVD..Go figure
The thing that makes me cringe is people storing VHSs in their loft/attic (massive temperature variations and mould - definitely a big kiss of death) or in garages (wet/moisture).... people putting tapes on top of TVs or near speakers (magnetism) are asking for trouble. I never even stored mine horizontally, that was meant to be bad for them as they'd get dragged sideways off the reel by gravity eventually.

ouch....just hearing about stuff like this ( VHS) makes my hair ( what little I have left ) stand on end....and I believe as time continues to pass by, you'll see more and more examples of disc rot...on both CD's and DVD's...so be on the look out......egads!
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Franky, sorry to hear your Adam Adamant set has disc rot. I've looked at mine and can't see anything sinister on the playing surface, though I have no idea what disc rot looks like. When I read your comment about not keeping tapes on top of speakers,I looked across the room and my Saint dvd box set was on top of one of my speakers. It's been there for weeks, so I quickly moved it! Hopefully this doesn't apply to dvd's but I'm not taking any chances with all this talk of rot!
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Speakers affect tapes because they're magnetic media and the magnets in the speakers can damage the information recorded magnetically. DVDs are optical so should not have any issue with being left on speakers.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Thanks Piers, I was pretty sure dvd's weren't affected by speakers. Unless your music is so loud the vibrations send your dvd's crashing onto the floor :!: I think all we can do to get as long a life from our box sets is to keep them upright on the shelf away from radiators etc, and don't touch the playing surface. The Avengers box sets I think are the best design. Individual cases that hold no more than 2 discs. They're easy to remove too, unlike say The Adam Adamant set which has an awful case. I try to be as careful as I can when removing these discs, without bending them, which probably causes stress to the disc.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:Thanks Piers, I was pretty sure dvd's weren't affected by speakers. Unless your music is so loud the vibrations send your dvd's crashing onto the floor :!: I think all we can do to get as long a life from our box sets is to keep them upright on the shelf away from radiators etc, and don't touch the playing surface. The Avengers box sets I think are the best design. Individual cases that hold no more than 2 discs. They're easy to remove too, unlike say The Adam Adamant set which has an awful case. I try to be as careful as I can when removing these discs, without bending them, which probably causes stress to the disc.
exactly. I can't begin to name some of the sets, that had some truly bad cases and storages...and damage is often caused, by removing said discs...and as they do 'age' the discs tend to get a tad brittle...and are prone to cracking..
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Agree with Cyberrich on the AAL! case. As lovely as the packaging is (love the booklet and cover, the case makes it nearly impossible to comfortably remove a disc from the box. Disc rot is concern but also is snapping the disc in order to get it out.

As nice as it is to have the slim cases for the Avengers DVD, in my experience they don't tend to hold the discs that well...