Stay Tuned

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Yes, it's a thing of beauty for sure. I'm glad to say the text is well up to the standard of the photos and art which are obviously really lovingly created, selected and presented. This was a golden age of fandom when enthusiasm, talent and memories brought people together as much as the very rare repeats and nascent video releases (which were as rare as gold dust).

The "ephemera" is an important part of the charm and I'm so glad you chose to put it in. Like The Avengers itself, it is both of its time and timeless, speaking to enthusiasts everywhere in the timestream :).

On the plus side, we may not have had the programme to watch (a few satellite channels like Bravo got interested later on and the joy fandom found in these reruns is flagged up here) but we had the stars and creators of the show who were only too happy to share the fun. Beautiful times, and captured by Dave's magazines like a set of precious gems and now, a time capsule that brings it all back.

This book has made me happier than anything in the past few years. Not just nostalgia though - there's stuff of real interest to new viewers here that should not be lost to time.
Franky, you have nailed it. couldn't have stated it any better...and you're so right...' stuff of real interest to 'new' viewers..that should not be lost to time...
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Zappa books. Are you a Zappa fan, mousemeat? If so, congrats on having the best of taste and musical ear(s).
Last watched: "Build a Better Mousetrap"
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Big Bear wrote:This is wonderful to hear, so pleased you are enjoying the book.

We were in two minds about putting things like readers letters and talking about Telly Addicts etc in there but I really wanted it to capture that era of Avengers fandom. So nice to hear that you like it.

The book is doing really well, we have sold almost 200 copies to various parts of the world in just over a week and made a decent chunk of money for the charity.

Appreciate the support :)
The readers' letters and the Curry A La Carte columns make me want to pull out all my old 'zine copies and read them cover to cover. But I'll read the book first :) Man, fandom before the internet was TIGHT! So many interesting views - and no trolls ~(not published, anyway :D)
Last watched: "Build a Better Mousetrap"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Zappa books. Are you a Zappa fan, mousemeat? If so, congrats on having the best of taste and musical ear(s).

huge Zappa fan....especially the early Mothers of Invention...saw Zappa live in both Detroit, and California...in the late 60's, and 70's....I also loved the TURTLES connection in the Mothers...Flo, Eddie, and Bassist jim Pons, (also played bass in the Leaves)

in fact, just watched on DVD last night, Zappa's 200 Motels...(UA 1971)

funny, funny, film
mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by mariocki »

There’s a new discount code at Lulu meaning you can get 30% off Stay Tuned by entering SAVE30 at the checkout.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote:Zappa books. Are you a Zappa fan, mousemeat? If so, congrats on having the best of taste and musical ear(s).

huge Zappa fan....especially the early Mothers of Invention...saw Zappa live in both Detroit, and California...in the late 60's, and 70's....I also loved the TURTLES connection in the Mothers...Flo, Eddie, and Bassist jim Pons, (also played bass in the Leaves)

in fact, just watched on DVD last night, Zappa's 200 Motels...(UA 1971)

funny, funny, film
btw, 200 Motels was first video taped, and then transferred to 35mm film....and in the states, soundtrack LP (2 LP) came out on United Artists records
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I've ordered the book but Australia Post being what it is these days it'll probably arrive after Christmas.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:I've ordered the book but Australia Post being what it is these days it'll probably arrive after Christmas.

probably right...I ordered a set of decals out of sydney, for my 1985 Mongoose PRO MT. BIKE...as I'm restoring it..ordered in late October, arrived in Memphis,
last week....true snail mail....lol
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Although I have already ordered the book, I suspect it will come to Russia after Christmas too. :)
Denis
Big Bear
Little Wonder

Post by Big Bear »

Thanks for the kind words and orders, pleased the book is being well received. If anyone still wants to get the book, this weekend Lulu has a 30% off offer running until Tuesday 30th November.

http://bit.ly/3wFqnjA

upload picture free