New Avengers Comic in August 2012

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Sinus1994
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Sinus1994 »

oneknightsteed wrote:Ouch! sorry to hear that, Sinus. I recommend plenty of ice....in a glass...with a large whisky wrapped around it! Also, watch continuous episodes of the Avengers. It may not help your foot, but it's guaranteed to lift your spirits! :D
Thanks for your sympathies oneknigthsteed. :P
But with the large whisky will be a problem for me... nothing's there, not a drop in a place! :?
And to get new stuff... how, with crutches?
I'll use indeed the time to watch some episodes. ;)
In some way this will also help my foot...

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994 Image
ischtar

Post by ischtar »

lotsofbrolly wrote:Well I've managed to download a copy from Comixology as recommended.

I've gotten the iPhone app for it too, and it's easily downloaded to a laptop etc. I've read the Gibson Issues and wasn't overly impressed with the story, or characters either. Very un-Steedlike, and un-Emmalike! And for the Peter Peel character, well, the less said about him the better!!

But the new comic by Waid. Well, as it is only a brief plot intro, and brief idea. I loved it! He has not only the characters accurate, but the drawings are amazing too! I was actually deeply touched by how well he has the interaction between Steed and Emma too :-) It is a definate MUST have for us all!! It will make a few people smile too :-)

So when you have a free minute, get these downloaded.

Lotsofbrolly

I have to say, I liked it too. A clever story connected with the originally Hellfire club plot and the characters are indeed accurate - and the it's definitley one for the Seddi fans too.
:D
I did not like the drawing too much, but that's only because Steed and Peel did not look much like Macnee and Rigg, despite that fact the drawings were great - with two expections: Steed's car.
It looked like they cut off almost a third of the Bentley, so that it reminded me of some toy car.
Second: Steed's umbrella. Come on, he never used his brolly in that way - no umbrella cover! And he opened it (because of the rain) , that happened - if I remember right- only one time, in
Death of a batman :wink:[/quote]
Sinus1994

Post by Sinus1994 »

ischtar wrote:
lotsofbrolly wrote:Well I've managed to download a copy from Comixology as recommended.

I've gotten the iPhone app for it too, and it's easily downloaded to a laptop etc. I've read the Gibson Issues and wasn't overly impressed with the story, or characters either. Very un-Steedlike, and un-Emmalike! And for the Peter Peel character, well, the less said about him the better!!

But the new comic by Waid. Well, as it is only a brief plot intro, and brief idea. I loved it! He has not only the characters accurate, but the drawings are amazing too! I was actually deeply touched by how well he has the interaction between Steed and Emma too :-) It is a definate MUST have for us all!! It will make a few people smile too :-)

So when you have a free minute, get these downloaded.

Lotsofbrolly

I have to say, I liked it too. A clever story connected with the originally Hellfire club plot and the characters are indeed accurate - and the it's definitley one for the Seddi fans too.
:D
I did not like the drawing too much, but that's only because Steed and Peel did not look much like Macnee and Rigg, despite that fact the drawings were great - with two expections: Steed's car.
It looked like they cut off almost a third of the Bentley, so that it reminded me of some toy car.
Second: Steed's umbrella. Come on, he never used his brolly in that way - no umbrella cover! And he opened it (because of the rain) , that happened - if I remember right- only one time, in
Death of a batman :wink:
I like the plot, too. :D
But as ischtar said, the drawings of Steed and Emma are very poor... :(
But you're not quite right, that he just opened it in "Death Of A Batman"...
He also opened it in "Man-Eater Of Surrey Green", in the beginning, as they visited Alan Carter (it was raining, as Steed and Emma arrived).
And he also opened it in "A Surfeit Of H2O", after he visited Dr. Sturm's laboratory and it seemed, that it would begin to rain (but it didn't) - I think after his first visit there.

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994 Image
ischtar

Post by ischtar »

I like the plot, too. Very Happy
But as ischtar said, the drawings of Steed and Emma are very poor... Sad
He also opened it in "Man-Eater Of Surrey Green", in the beginning, as they visited Alan Carter (it was raining, as Steed and Emma arrived).
And he also opened it in "A Surfeit Of H2O", after he visited Dr. Sturm's laboratory and it seemed, that it would begin to rain (but it didn't) - I think after his first visit there.

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994
:shock: :shock: Wow, you're right! Never realised that before - you're the brolly expert :D :D
Ischtar
Sinus1994

Post by Sinus1994 »

ischtar wrote:
I like the plot, too. Very Happy
But as ischtar said, the drawings of Steed and Emma are very poor... Sad

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994
:shock: :shock: Wow, you're right! Never realised that before - you're the brolly expert :D :D
Ischtar
It was an unusual detail - so I kept that in mind.
But you're still the Steed-expert. ;)

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994 Image
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

I read the comic yesterday, and I have mixed feelings about it. I think this is the first time that Emma's likeness has been closer than Steed's--usually artists can nail Patrick and resort to drawing some woman with a flippy hairdo for Emma. But if there are legal issues, that explains it--Patrick owns a piece of the rights to his likeness as Steed, and anyone who wants to merchandise it has to go through him. As far as I know, none of the other Avengers actors have the same rights, so they can draw Diana all they want (though it doesn't mean they'll do it very well--no one ever does), but they have to tread carefully when they do Patrick. (Although older Steed actually looked closer to older Patrick than younger Steed did to younger Patrick. :wink: )

The art style was a bit sparse for my liking--a bit too much white space everywhere, with splashes of psychadelic colour. I'd rather they have gone for the full-on bright colours of season 5, or an almost-monochrome look like season 4, but then I like lots of colour in my comics, and I associate bright colours with the Emma era. It seemed quite short, too, but I think it's my history of reading 32-page stories that's affected my expectations of story-length.

They did a decent job of the dialogue, which is the biggest thing to nail when it comes to the Avengers. Not every line worked, but on average the voices sounded right. I also noticed this one was set in 1966, as opposed to 1969 as was advertised. I can only assume this is because it's a 0 issue, meaning it's a sort of prologue to the main storyline. Unless they decided to change it, in which case they won't have to worry about finding Tara something to do...

It's not a perfect debut, but then it would be a bit unreasonable to expect it to be. These things tend to get better over time as the people behind it settle into the characters. I'll be interested to see how it evolves.

(Oh, and sorry to hear you got hurt, Sinus! :( Get better soon!)
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Sinus1994 wrote:I've overexpanded my ligaments in my left foot today. :cry:
So, I can't go/drive anywere at the moment.

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994 Image
That reminds me - the next episode I have to watch in order is "Noon Doomsday" where Steed is out of action due to a foot injury! I hope you feel better soon.
Last watched: "Build a Better Mousetrap"
Sinus1994

Post by Sinus1994 »

Frankymole wrote:
Sinus1994 wrote:I've overexpanded my ligaments in my left foot today. :cry:
So, I can't go/drive anywere at the moment.

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994 Image
That reminds me - the next episode I have to watch in order is "Noon Doomsday" where Steed is out of action due to a foot injury! I hope you feel better soon.
That's exactly the episode I was thinking of, too. :)
But I don't have these "useful" crutches, like Steed...
I should modify my crutches, too. ;)

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994 Image
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Tannerman wrote:For those who can't get a physical copy, the comic is available digitally via Comixology
Ian Duerden's latest comics are also available through Comixology:

http://www.comixology.com/search?search=duerden
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Ian's art is breathtaking.

He really should be at the helm of new Avengers material. When I win the EuroMillions (could be any week now, by the way) I will negotiate a deal with him to launch a series of Avengers graphic novels. He knows his onions that guy.

Me, I'll be having cocktails with Patrick Macnee who will be telling me all the stories he wasn't allowed to tell in Blind in One Ear and The Avengers and Me. 8)
THE AVENGERS GALLERY