The latest Avengers TV reboot attempt announced

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
CCrawford
White Dwarf

Re: The latest Avengers TV reboot attempt announced

Post by CCrawford »

They'll need to have decent writing that captures the mood and atmosphere of the original and they'll have to take great care casting actors who 'fit' the roles....and given that it's 2024 I expect it to be awash in CGI special affects, gun battles and loud explosions.
I hate to assume the worst, but you only have to look at the film to know what you can expect here.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

We don't need another new Avengers. There's nothing wrong with the "old" one.
Last watched: "Build a Better Mousetrap"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

couldn't have stated it any better......the 'old' series is just fine....thumbs down, for a ' new' one....

I just can't see it being pulled off...and well...
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I just think of other 60s and 70s revivals - Kojak, Starsky and Hutch, Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased), The Tomorrow People, The Prisoner... all failures to one extent or another.

Why not come up with a new, exciting show? Is there such a lack of writing and acting talent now that they can't do that?
Last watched: "Build a Better Mousetrap"
paulpdjh
Winged Avenger

Post by paulpdjh »

Frankymole wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:52 am I just think of other 60s and 70s revivals - Kojak, Starsky and Hutch, Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased), The Tomorrow People, The Prisoner... all failures to one extent or another.

Why not come up with a new, exciting show? Is there such a lack of writing and acting talent now that they can't do that?
I agree, although I actually did quite enjoy the 1990s revival of the Tomorrow People, but not the more recent 2010s one!

ITV's plan to resurrect The Champions a few years ago has seemingly come to nothing, so even though Studiocanal are involved, I doubt this new series will be made*. Could it even be called The Avengers now that the Marvel superheroes are so associated with the name?

I noticed a few months ago that there's also talk of reviving The Saint yet again! https://m.imdb.com/news/ni62861073/

* edit: Talk on Rhoobarbs Forum indicates the plan is for a 6 episode limited season with both Studiocanal and Warner Brothers behind it so maybe it's further along than I thought. Don't Studiocanal and Warner Bros both run their own streaming services, so if they've any faith in the reboot presumably they could finance and broadcast/stream it themselves?
Paul
RayRay
White Dwarf

Post by RayRay »

Although I'd love to see what they might come up with, it's going to be a very different product than the original Avengers. There are too many elements of the zeitgeist that produced the Avengers which are long gone:
  • The "general market" attractiveness of a 40-something Old Etonian action hero
    The Swinging Sixties environment of Britain emerging from post-WWII austerity
    The flabbergasting novelty of a female academic action heroine
    The ability to present a "picture postcard" England (series 4 onward) without appearing to represent a hard right-leaning political stance
    Shooting on location on a car-free street to represent "Avengerland", without incurring exorbitant costs for sets and extras
    The novelty of blending scifi and spy genres (especially in Seasons 4-on)
    The essentially sunny depiction of two carefree people who witness multiple deaths each week
    The rapidly deteriorating relevance of the original show (since people who remember it are no longer in charge of determining what is "retro hot")
    The ability to produce anything called “The Avengers” that doesn’t confuse the market
Whatever they come up with, it needs to be quite different from the original... which leads me to question why creatives can't simply be enabled to create a new thing inspired by the original, named something different altogether. I think "Lupin" is the best example of using an old name and coming up with something brilliantly inventive and with a minimum of nostalgia. If Studio Canal can do something like that...But I don't see WHY such an effort is desirable.

I'm in agreement with those who think the best path forward is Big Finish audio dramas, rather than a revamped TV series.
Last edited by RayRay on Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

some good points...and I'm wondering as well, over the name ' Avengers '....of course, in early 1966, when the series was first announced as a mid season replacement, I thought it was indeed, the comic book Avengers..but it wasn't...lol

and yeah, the conditions of the era, that produced the series, from the mindset of the writers, to social conditions, is pretty much gone.

will studio canal commit to a new series ? probably not...then again...??

and the big finish audio projects, is simply the best way to re create the series
AgentCooper
Nutshell

Post by AgentCooper »

mousemeat wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:18 pm some good points...and I'm wondering as well, over the name ' Avengers '....of course, in early 1966, when the series was first announced as a mid season replacement, I thought it was indeed, the comic book Avengers..but it wasn't...lol

and yeah, the conditions of the era, that produced the series, from the mindset of the writers, to social conditions, is pretty much gone.

will studio canal commit to a new series ? probably not...then again...??

and the big finish audio projects, is simply the best way to re create the series
It’s not up to StudioCanal at this point; it’ll be up to a streamer/platform/network to option/buy it from StudioCanal and order it to production. (StudioCanal can’t do it without a distributor on board and committed.)
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

good points..but I doubt this project will get the green light....then again, ?
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I read the news of this yesterday and shuddered. Hopefully this will go ahead and it will be brilliant and my apprehension will be misplaced.