Imprint Films The Avengers: Emma Peel Collection Blu-Ray

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Re: Imprint Films The Avengers: Emma Peel Collection Blu-Ray

Post by Alan »

Received the Emma Peel Imprint set today and can't deny I find it very disappointing that Imprint have compromised the image and sound quality of the bonus features in making the release US-friendly.

The extras, which were 576/50i on the UK sets, have been converted to 480/60i on this new Australian release, resulting in juddery images and slightly warbly sound. Considering the trouble that went into producing the special features package, it's galling to see it presented in this shoddy manner. Even the HD extras (The Avengers at 50) have been converted to 1080/60i from 1080/50i.

I get that this means that US fans can view the release, but really there should have been a local release in the USA. The Blu-ray format is all about presenting material in the best way possible and these compromises mean that that's not happening.

It's particularly shocking that the bonus episodes are SD and converted to 480/60i - they look atrocious.

A real shame as the filmed episodes look as good as you'd expect and the packaging is beautiful.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I sold my Australian Danger Man set from Madman because it had the same juddery video. Even though it has nice extras, I couldn't bear to watch it.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

dissolute wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:14 am I sold my Australian Danger Man set from Madman because it had the same juddery video. Even though it has nice extras, I couldn't bear to watch it.
Which one's that? Fifty minute episodes or the original half-hours? I have the Madman set for the latter but Network for the former. Didn't notice any problems on either.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Is Danger Man out on BluRay?
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by mariocki »

No - Network themselves said they were working on it but that was quite a few years ago now. Off the top of my head the only episodes available in HD are View From The Villa and No Marks For Servility which are on the Retro-Action sampler set.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Alan wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:39 pm Received the Emma Peel Imprint set today and can't deny I find it very disappointing that Imprint have compromised the image and sound quality of the bonus features in making the release US-friendly.

The extras, which were 576/50i on the UK sets, have been converted to 480/60i on this new Australian release, resulting in juddery images and slightly warbly sound. Considering the trouble that went into producing the special features package, it's galling to see it presented in this shoddy manner. Even the HD extras (The Avengers at 50) have been converted to 1080/60i from 1080/50i.

I get that this means that US fans can view the release, but really there should have been a local release in the USA. The Blu-ray format is all about presenting material in the best way possible and these compromises mean that that's not happening.

It's particularly shocking that the bonus episodes are SD and converted to 480/60i - they look atrocious.

A real shame as the filmed episodes look as good as you'd expect and the packaging is beautiful.

Well that 's disappointing, but thanks for warning the rest of us.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Alan wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:48 pm
dissolute wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:14 am I sold my Australian Danger Man set from Madman because it had the same juddery video. Even though it has nice extras, I couldn't bear to watch it.
Which one's that? Fifty minute episodes or the original half-hours? I have the Madman set for the latter but Network for the former. Didn't notice any problems on either.
Sorry, it was the Umbrella Entertainment set of the half hour episodes. Maybe it was my TV but it didn't seem as good.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
angel
White Dwarf

Post by angel »

Why this Pathé film has never been included as bonus on the Avengers releases, DVD and Blu-ray :

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

The expense of licensing it, probably.
Last watched: "Mandrake"