There's That Finger...Again!!!

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
unclefester
Little Wonder

There's That Finger...Again!!!

Post by unclefester »

I have mentioned this in past posts

Our friend Patrick has a habit of using his middle digit for certain tasks like ringing Emma's doorbell and scratching an itch.

Now I know I have asked this before but is it really something completely innocent on his part or are we seeing a pattern here?

IMO there's a certain degree of Patrick being naughty and on purpose!

Am I wrong?
MMMMMortimer11.jpg
MMMMMortimer11.jpg (227.48 KiB) Viewed 187 times
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Re: There's That Finger...Again!!!

Post by Ian Wegg »

For the vast majority of people in the UK in the 1960s, the middle finger had no meaning. The British equivalent was the "V sign", as demonstrated by Steve McQueen in the film Le Mans.

Of course that doesn't rule out Patrick knowing the U.S. connotation and having a bit of fun but it would have been lost on the domestic audience. If he'd used two fingers he wouldn't have got a way with it.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I suspect it's seen as innocent enough not to shock the American network executives and censors...

However, the sight of a female navel gives them conniptions...
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:50 pm I suspect it's seen as innocent enough not to shock the American network executives and censors...

However, the sight of a female navel gives them conniptions...
more or less..then again, brits can be as uptight, as much...lol..

of course, one can certainly remember how the episode with Diana as the Queen of Sin, was originally Banned in the States..but ABC management types, would screen that episode , at company meetings...which is both a hoot, and paradox..
unclefester
Little Wonder

Post by unclefester »

Here's why I think there could be something to Patrick's finger follies.
He was a veteran of the war so had seen & been exposed to the bawdiest humour combined with near death experiences. Not to mention seeing his friends "blown to bits". All that might give some a bit of a warped persona

Patrick spent considerable time in Canada in the 50's & likely visited the U.S. during that time. That meant he would have been fully exposed to & immersed in customs both polite and naughty first hand on this side of the Atlantic.

And lastly the program was now being broadcast in North America.

Now this is all conjecture on my part. I have no proof. But I continue to believe that he knew what he was doing. Someone who was as worldly at Patrick, who had traveled as much as he had & his war time experience suggests to me he may have led the way and influenced others...

God Save The King!!
CCCCCCharles11.jpg
CCCCCCharles11.jpg (39.28 KiB) Viewed 113 times
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

unclefester wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:27 pm Here's why I think there could be something to Patrick's finger follies.
He was a veteran of the war so had seen & been exposed to the bawdiest humour combined with near death experiences. Not to mention seeing his friends "blown to bits". All that might give some a bit of a warped persona

Patrick spent considerable time in Canada in the 50's & likely visited the U.S. during that time. That meant he would have been fully exposed to & immersed in customs both polite and naughty first hand on this side of the Atlantic.

And lastly the program was now being broadcast in North America.

Now this is all conjecture on my part. I have no proof. But I continue to believe that he knew what he was doing. Someone who was as worldly at Patrick, who had traveled as much as he had & his war time experience suggests to me he may have led the way and influenced others...

God Save The King!!

CCCCCCharles11.jpg

very good points on what could have 'driven' Patrick..and yeah, he spent a lot of time in Canada, doing both plays and occasional tv...he also was part of many cast up's of plays, etc..and if my memory is correct, his mother was a Lesbian.and he had the benefit of being raised by two women.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I've found a similar thread on other forums, asking about people in shows using their middle finger instead of the index finger to point at things. General consensus is it's a generational thing, with older people using the middle finger as it's (a) a longer finger, and (b) not rude. (I do remember my parents always saying it's rude to point but how else does someone point things out??)
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.