From Rehearsal To Final Take

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
unclefester
Little Wonder

From Rehearsal To Final Take

Post by unclefester »

From EPIC come the images below...

Rehearsal for one of the numerous fight scenes. Take note of where Emma is placed on the mat while director James Hill chats up the scene with Peter Wyngarde. And closely check out Emma - she does a great job in maintaining her body position in the two rehearsal shots with virtually no discernable change. No continuity issues here!!

The second image shows just where Emma ended up after being cold cocked in the scene taken from the actual episode

Do you think this is simply where Diana landed in the final shot or that the scene was perhaps reworked?
EEEEEEpic1133.jpg
EEEEEEpic1133.jpg (79.63 KiB) Viewed 274 times
EEEEEEPic88888.jpg
EEEEEEPic88888.jpg (98.54 KiB) Viewed 274 times
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: From Rehearsal To Final Take

Post by mousemeat »

unclefester wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:54 pm From EPIC come the images below...

Rehearsal for one of the numerous fight scenes. Take note of where Emma is placed on the mat while director James Hill chats up the scene with Peter Wyngarde. And closely check out Emma - she does a great job in maintaining her body position in the two rehearsal shots with virtually no discernable change. No continuity issues here!!

The second image shows just where Emma ended up after being cold cocked in the scene taken from the actual episode

Do you think this is simply where Diana landed in the final shot or that the scene was perhaps reworked?

EEEEEEpic1133.jpgEEEEEEPic88888.jpg

some great shots from that episode..which for a lot of us, a fan favorite..the ongoing rehearsals for many of the episodes , was par for the course..
unclefester
Little Wonder

Post by unclefester »

Thanks for your response

I read my opening post & found it kinda' klunky...so hopefully to clarify a bit...

What I can't understand is why would Diana have to remain "frozen in place" in what was clearly a rehearsal?

I'm scratching my head because on the surface it doesn't make any sense to have the director step over her while prone on the mat to have a chat with Peter.

If there is a logical explanation I'd love to hear it!
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

unclefester wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:16 pm Thanks for your response

I read my opening post & found it kinda' klunky...so hopefully to clarify a bit...

What I can't understand is why would Diana have to remain "frozen in place" in what was clearly a rehearsal?

I'm scratching my head because on the surface it doesn't make any sense to have the director step over her while prone on the mat to have a chat with Peter.

If there is a logical explanation I'd love to hear it!
sounds like a bit of horseplay, between takes
unclefester
Little Wonder

Post by unclefester »

Yes horse play would make some sense

Who needs to rehearse lying on the floor pretending to be comatose?

Certainly not Diana Rigg lol

Besides don't you risk having some wardrobe issues with creases & wrinkles etc in the position she's in?
Last edited by unclefester on Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

unclefester wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:25 am Yes horse play would make some sense

Who needs to rehearse lying on the floor pretending to be comatose?

Certainly not Diana Rigg lol

Besides don't you risk having some wardrobe issues with creases & folds etc in the position she's in?
more like potential wardrobe failure...lol
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I think the two rehearsal photos were taken close together and Diana just lay where she was as the director stepped in to explain what he wanted Wyngarde to do, I've seen actors do that on set as moves get rehearsed. No point getting up if you just have to get down again straight away!
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:31 pm I think the two rehearsal photos were taken close together and Diana just lay where she was as the director stepped in to explain what he wanted Wyngarde to do, I've seen actors do that on set as moves get rehearsed. No point getting up if you just have to get down again straight away!

yup, I concur on that assessment...of course, each director has a different way of doing things
unclefester
Little Wonder

Post by unclefester »

dissolute wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:31 pm
No point getting up if you just have to get down again straight away!
Well what you're saying makes perfect sense except she did get up straight away because in the bottom photo - taken from the episode - she is shown in a completely different prone position not to mention a different "pose".
Thinking perhaps the scene was reworked on the fly?
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

unclefester wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:03 am
dissolute wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:31 pm
No point getting up if you just have to get down again straight away!
Well what you're saying makes perfect sense except she did get up straight away because in the bottom photo - taken from the episode - she is shown in a completely different prone position not to mention a different "pose".
Thinking perhaps the scene was reworked on the fly?
yeah, I would concur...many times, certain scenes, are no doubt , reworked..and they end up using the best scene, etc..