Back to the Future

Important announcements about the forum - mostly the Christmas contests.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Back to the Future

Post by mousemeat »

social media..has gotten pretty lame-ola, at times...at one time My space, ruled the roost...then FB took over...who eventually replace FB ?
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

The Forum has been updated to the latest version.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I've added a couple of extensions to the forum, so you can now:
* embed videos in posts (e.g. viewtopic.php?p=73157#p73157 ),
* thank people for their posts (e.g. viewtopic.php?p=73054#p73054 - thanks Alan! ),
* or donate to cover the forum costs (account for that has been fixed, but it appears as me).
There's also a lightbox & slideshow extension available, so I might add those too so we can have a more fluid and modern experience.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

More extensions added:
* lightbox & gallery for images
* topic preview on mouse hover
* addition of spoiler tags
example spoiler
We have a bug where search engines are being mis-identified as early members of the forum, I can't work out why though.
example lightbox: viewtopic.php?p=62404#p62404
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Nice. As it is technically possible why should this not be a thing, but well done fore getting it to actually work.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

The kind people over at the phpBB support forum gave me a tip as to the cause of the bots problem and it is now fixed. Happy days!
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

dissolute wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:24 pm * or donate to cover the forum costs (account for that has been fixed, but it appears as me).
I've found that this appears as a "donate" button on the forum login page but the button disappears once you've actually logged in. As I usually stay logged on I only noticed this when I tried to use my mobile.

I see there is also a "support" button on the top of the original site which takes you to PayPal. Maybe this would be better renamed "donate" for consistency?
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Ian Wegg wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:54 pm
dissolute wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:24 pm * or donate to cover the forum costs (account for that has been fixed, but it appears as me).
I've found that this appears as a "donate" button on the forum login page but the button disappears once you've actually logged in. As I usually stay logged on I only noticed this when I tried to use my mobile.

I see there is also a "support" button on the top of the original site which takes you to PayPal. Maybe this would be better renamed "donate" for consistency?
Ah, good idea. Thanks Ian (and especially thanks for the donation). I can't change the button in the forum because that's run by the extension, so I'll change the other one.
I'll check the layout on mobile, as I can see the donations button with the PayPal logo after being logged in, but that will change depending on which theme you're using.

we_universal, which is a bit messy at mobile reolution so I understand why you wouldn't use it!

Mobile (e.g. here is prosilver) often has it hidden in the "hamburger" menu:
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

Thanks Piers. Getting the forum to work across all platforms can't be easy, your hard work is appreciated.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I've reduced the old forum to just the we have closed message unless you log in. Posting is still disabled, and the bots keep registering despite my attempt to turn registrations off...
I'm planning to disable the old forum completely, it will run for another month before turning off, I believe. Should I do it now or at the end of March?

Answers, on a postcard, to the usual address...
Mrs Peel, you're needed!