Ticket To Ride London - board game

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Ticket To Ride London - board game

Post by Ian Wegg »

I spotted this in a shop today, it seems to be a new board game for the Christmas market.

The subject of the imagery is obvious, possibly not the best representation of Steed and Mrs Peel but I'd guess deliberately so to avoid copyright issues.

Curiously though, despite the picture, the game appears to be set in the seventies...

"Welcome to the 70s world capital of fashion and music. Jump aboard a double-decker bus to rumble through London's historic streets, breeze past Buckingham Palace, pop into the British Museum or listen to Big Ben's chime echo across the Thames."

I noticed one of the playing cards features a Ferrari Dino, I don't know if that's a deliberate reference to The Persuaders! or if there are any other TV connections.

Anyway, it's good to see images of Steed and Mrs Peel on a new product. I will put this on my Christmas list.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Ticket To Ride London - board game

Post by mousemeat »

Ian Wegg wrote:I spotted this in a shop today, it seems to be a new board game for the Christmas market.

The subject of the imagery is obvious, possibly not the best representation of Steed and Mrs Peel but I'd guess deliberately so to avoid copyright issues.

Curiously though, despite the picture, the game appears to be set in the seventies...

"Welcome to the 70s world capital of fashion and music. Jump aboard a double-decker bus to rumble through London's historic streets, breeze past

Buckingham Palace, pop into the British Museum or listen to Big Ben's chime echo across the Thames.
"

I noticed one of the playing cards features a Ferrari Dino, I don't know if that's a deliberate reference to The Persuaders! or if there are any other TV connections.

Anyway, it's good to see images of Steed and Mrs Peel on a new product. I

will put this on my Christmas list.

wow, interesting...thanks for posting it...yeah, the rendering of Steed & Mrs. Peel, is way off..could be a copyright issue....or maybe just not a great artist..

the other two is the Queen, and John Lennon ?
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

They're not meant to be Steed and Emma, just "inspired by" as something London-ish. The cards in the game also have 1960s/70s transport like the Prisoner's Lotus 7 and Brett Sinclair's car from The Persuaders! or near equivalents.

There seem to be lookee-likees of John Lennon and Princess Margaret on the cover!

It's a fun game, we got it a few years ago for our daughter to play with us, as she was a bit small for the larger/more complex map versions. It is quicker to play. Instead of trains, as in the "parent" game, this uses London buses.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:They're not meant to be Steed and Emma, just "inspired by" as something London-ish. The cards in the game also have 1960s/70s transport like the Prisoner's Lotus 7 and Brett Sinclair's car from The Persuaders! or near equivalents.

There seem to be lookee-likees of John Lennon and Princess Margaret on the cover!

It's a fun game, we got it a few years ago for our daughter to play with us, as she was a bit small for the larger/more complex map versions. It is quicker to play. Instead of trains, as in the "parent" game, this uses London buses.
so it's Margaret, and not the queen..gotcha ya !

so when does this game date back from ?
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

This London one is from 2019, though the original Ticket To Ride with the map of the USA came out in 2005, I think. They've done variants, I've played the Europe one too which has different rules to the original with some station pieces and tunnels and ferries to link up your routes. It's an enjoyable, not-too-complex and not-too-simple game for 2 players, we've played it with more but it can feel like it takes much longer for your turn to come round. That's a problem for me as I always forget what I planned to do on my turn, haha!

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/276 ... ide-london
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:This London one is from 2019, though the original Ticket To Ride with the map of the USA came out in 2005, I think. They've done variants, I've played the Europe one too which has different rules to the original with some station pieces and tunnels and ferries to link up your routes. It's an enjoyable, not-too-complex and not-too-simple game for 2 players, we've played it with more but it can feel like it takes much longer for your turn to come round. That's a problem for me as I always forget what I planned to do on my turn, haha!

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/276 ... ide-london
have you played the 'original' version of this game (2005) or pretty much have stuck with the London version ?

games are sometimes, like that...i.e. fun, etc....been there..done that..i.e. forgetting my turn, etc...lol
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

mousemeat wrote: have you played the 'original' version of this game (2005) or pretty much have stuck with the London version ?

games are sometimes, like that...i.e. fun, etc....been there..done that..i.e. forgetting my turn, etc...lol
Yes, I played the American map original with my brother and sister-in-law a few times, and then we got it on a computer tablet and played it a lot there. It's not only the USA but has a bit of Canada too.

In a local toy shop we saw the European one so got that to play at home, and then I can't remember where we got the little London one, probably on a day trip somewhere, that's the cutest one and you can play it in a more confined space - not so much board and cards to spread out!

(I'm not on commission :D )
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
mousemeat wrote: have you played the 'original' version of this game (2005) or pretty much have stuck with the London version ?

Yes, I played the American map original with my brother and sister-in-law a few times, and then we got it on a computer tablet and played it a lot there. It's not only the USA but has a bit of Canada too.

In a local toy shop we saw the European one so got that to play at home, and then I can't remember where we got the little London one, probably on a day trip somewhere, that's the cutest one and you can play it in a more confined space - not so much board and cards to spread out!

well, anyway you spin it, it certainly sounds like loads of fun..what's not to like ?
(I'm not on commission :D )
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I've seen it in the shops here and see it was first published in 2019. It says it's based on 1970s London but the box art is pure 1968.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Yes, it's a bit vague. More a vibe thing :)

I think they just wanted an excuse to include Lord Brett Sinclair's BS1 car...