Cybernauts Blu-Ray DVD

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Lee
Little Wonder

Post by Lee »

I've just entered the world of Blu-Ray and have just ordered this release.

Looking forward to seeing all episodes in sparkling quality!
You really must have a word with that cleaning lady....
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

Lee wrote:I've just entered the world of Blu-Ray and have just ordered this release.

Looking forward to seeing all episodes in sparkling quality!
They are indeed in sparkling quality. The New Avengers looks like it was filmed yesterday. I am looking forward to the release of the series on blu ray.
Lee
Little Wonder

Post by Lee »

Well, my copy arrived really quickly - another pleasant surprise from Network.

Anyway, as you say sparkling quality. I didn't think the monochrome episode would scrub up any more, but it looks gorgeous. I've only watched The Cybernauts so far, so comments only relate to than episodes.

I've seen on other forums complaints about the sound. Indeed, it does sound a little as if the midrange has been suppressed slightly in the theme tune, but it isn't as bad as others seem to be making out. I thought the dialogue and incidental music sounded crisp and clear. So lovely to hear Laurie Johnson's earlier scores (which I preferr to the colour episodes) sounding so good.

Watching the authentic experience, how lovely to have the bumper breaks put in. I've really missed these on all other releases. It has often mystified me why they have been there for the video-tape era releases, but not the filmed ones. I haven't seen that animation since channel 4 showed them in the mid 80s. If Network get the rights to release them all, I would love to see them reinserted into all episodes - but I know I might be in a minority here. The ads are fun, and it makes a change not fast forwarding through them as you might usually do, just to get a taste of the history.

So far, I'm impressed......

I hope to hook up the Blu-Ray to my projector to see how good the quality is on the big screen (trying to contain my excitement.... :D )
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I received my copy yesterday and immediately watched The Last of the Cybernauts... ? which is truly stunning now it has been restored - so much so that I now have greater respect for the episode.

The picture is so much improved that you notice all sorts of extra detail - you get occasional glimpses of the crew filming the pre-credits scene in Car Park 4, there are nods to the original episodes throughout which I'd previously missed, even the cybernauts look better!

After that, I quickly skimmed through Return of the Cybernauts to compare the picture, as I'd previously thought the series 5 bluray was softer than series 4.

Sure enough, Network's remaster, being from a 2k scan of the original film negative is sharper and finer, and has been carefully graded to remove the yellow cast the Studio Canal blu ray has.

I would now dearly love Network to remaster all of The Avengers and The New Avengers. I did not think, having seen the currently available blu rays, that series 4 through 6 could be improved upon but it would seem I am wrong.

I'll check The Cybernauts tonight and compare that as well, but from memory I was extremely impressed with Studio Canal's offering.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Lee
Little Wonder

Post by Lee »

I have now watched Return of the Cybernauts - here are some thoughts / observations.

The picture really does look lovely. In fact, I had never realised that there was a blue hue to the champagne glasses seen in the opening moments of the title sequence - I had to go back and watch it again to check that I wasn't seeing things. This really is 'The Avengers in Colour'!!

Watching the film, the skies in the outdoor sequences really stood out to me - the blues and the clouds seemed so clear and real. Throughout, I found myself noticing things I hadn't paid any attention to before - such as Emma's shoes! She was wearing some very colourful footwear during this episode and the colours really jumped out at me (not usually someone who notices shoes!)

However, I did notice some of the sound issues I have seen others discuss on different forums. Not necessarily with the theme tune as others seem to say - to me it sounds quite full through my hifi amp and floor standing speakers (yes, perhaps a little missing midrange as I said before) but not incorrectly pitched as in the DVDs - but in the dialogue, particularly that of Peter Cushing. The scenes in his mansion, and particularly the room where Steed an Emma spend a lot of time, seem to be affected. When Beresford was having a conversation with Steed during one scene, the quality seemed to me to noticeably change between Cushing and Macnee as each delivered their lines. Perhaps I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't running it through my Hi-Fi, but it did strike me as a little odd.

I'm still enjoying this, though, and I'm now looking forward to seeing The New Avengers as I've never seen them before......
norw27
Little Wonder

Post by norw27 »

I’ve noticed the sound issue with Peter Cushings dialogue on every release of Return of the Cybernauts, right from back in the vhs days, it was always very noticeable for me.
But network have done a wonderful job with sprucing up the Rigg episodes, the colour title sequence looks glorious, and Last of the Cybernauts looks superb!
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I've updated my page for The Last of the Cybernauts... ?? with new HD images, including the cast photos.

Cars and fashions next...
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mariocki

Post by mariocki »

Tim Beddows of Network confirmed in a Q&A last night that they are definitely doing all of TNA on Blu-ray but there is no idea of timescale or format of the releases. There was no mention of them revisiting The Avengers on BD.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

That's great news! TNA on blu ray is long overdue. The dvd box set I have doesn't look much better than my old VHS copies, so hopefully this blu ray set won't be too far away.
mariocki

Post by mariocki »

I don’t think it’ll be any time soon just because of the time it takes for the transfers and remastering. He said that it took them six months to do Monty Python and they weren’t doing anything other than that in that time so I suppose it’ll depend on how they want to release it - piecemeal like the ITC shows or in a complete series box. After being pressed on the matter he did say, “OK, we are doing The New Avengers,” so you could take that as being its already under way or just that they intend doing it in the future. Either way, it’s definitely happening.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."