No votes
No votes
5%
No votes

Total votes: 19

Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

It was the other way round for me. I was born in Sussex where the martlet is the county bird. The county emblem is six martlets and the name is often used for houses, pubs, troops of Morris dancers (how Avengers is that?) etc.

I grew up knowing about the bird and what it looked like, it was a long time before I discovered it didn't exist!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

A bit like the Great Bustard, on the coat of arms of Wiltshire. There's a pub named after it on Salisbury Plain. But it was extinct from the area for a long time so had a kind of mythical status. I think it has been reintroduced.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

A very good episode with a unique feel to it. Lots of open air moments yet very.... well almost claustrophobic. A very dark plot with the threat of barren lands, the wronged late Prendergast. The usual Avengers style makes it fit in , but it is a different episode than others
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

and here was me thinking all this time it was just an English name for the blackbird (merel in Dutch).
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:A bit like the Great Bustard, on the coat of arms of Wiltshire. There's a pub named after it on Salisbury Plain. But it was extinct from the area for a long time so had a kind of mythical status. I think it has been reintroduced.
interesting...has anyone ever been to that pub ? or have picts ?
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Yes, I've been to it. It's in the middle of a firing range!
Last watched: "Mandrake"
rob2bob
Nutshell

Re: 4.12 - Silent Dust

Post by rob2bob »

Well this one is definitely the worst of the season so far.
I scored it 2. Clearly I am an outlier.
Genuinely curious how 37% rate it an 8. What scale are you using? You really think it is up there with the best?
Not critical but surprising to see.
“agreeable, well-rounded, and a little on the flinty side”; some say “venerable, devious, and a little ambivalent”
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I'd concur with that, my summary was:

"Marshall’s writing is superb, larding the script with literary references, but the central plot is unrewarding with the villains being run of the mill."

I gave it 6/10 but I was being generous.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
rob2bob
Nutshell

Post by rob2bob »

dissolute wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:50 pm I'd concur with that, my summary was:
Thank you. Admittedly my scale is more on the Craig Revel Horwood level so I am being very challenging in my scores as I rewatch the season. Don’t get me wrong I love The Avengers… it just gives me more wiggle room on my scoring for the best in that season, or indeed any season.

I know The Avengers is whacky at times and one has to suspend disbelief but Steed getting his foot in a mantrap… that would have broken his ankle… and shot in the right arm with a shotgun…. and within 5 minutes or so is on a horse with the hunt (then in arm to arm combat) and no evidence of injury or sling. Huuum. Lazy (‘contrived’ might be a fairer word) writing IMHO which ‘annoyed’ me.

Don’t start me on the plastic bat on a fishing line 🤣
Last edited by rob2bob on Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“agreeable, well-rounded, and a little on the flinty side”; some say “venerable, devious, and a little ambivalent”
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

rob2bob wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:22 am
dissolute wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:50 pm I'd concur with that, my summary was:
Thank you. Admittedly my scale is more on the Craig Revel Horwood level so I am being very challenging in my scores as I rewatch the season. Don’t get me wrong I love The Avengers… it just gives me more wiggle room on my scoring for the best in that season, or indeed any season.

I know The Avengers is whacky at times and one has to suspend disbelief but Steed getting his foot in a mantrap… that would have broken his ankle… and shot in the right arm with a shotgun…. and within 5 minutes or so is on a horse with the hunt (then in arm to arm combat) and no evidence of injury or sling. Huuum. Lazy (‘contrived’ might be a fairer word) writing IMHO which ‘annoyed’ me.

Don’t start me on the plastic bat on a fishing line 🤣

well...Steed, drinking lots of milk, with a tad of 'scotch'..realllyyyy gave him strong bones..so that's why his ankle didn't break...as for the shotgun, he was wearing a bullet proooooof jacket with sleeves, hence the undamaged right arm..(wink wink)

remember..around the time of the Avengers, Plastic bats were very fashionable...on fishing lines, and other assorted everyday items of pleasure..

oh yeah...(loud cymbal crash )