Emma Peel's Lotus

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by mariocki »

Andrew Pixley wrote:
mariocki wrote:A couple of shots I took of the car:
What wonderful photos! Many thanks! :)

All the best

Andrew
My pleasure - plenty more next time we meet :)
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

dissolute wrote:Emma's gorgeous Elan S3 Drophead Coupé is up for sale!
Well spotted. It seems that Deryck Norville is putting all his Lotuses - known, for some reason, as "The Piddington Collection" - up for auction.

Image Image
Image Image

Most of them have had famous owners. The white S3 "SAR 57D" belonged to Peter Sellers; F1 driver Jochen Rindt was given the blue coupe by Lotus boss Colin Chapman.

There is some interesting information about Emma Peel's car in the auction listing, although I'd take issue with some of the comments about its time with Michael Dezer. Far from "being persuaded to part with the car", a scroll back through this thread shows that it had actually been on sale from the time Dezer got it. I'm pretty certain it was really only the James Bond vehicles that Dezer wanted from the old Keswick collection.

Anyway, I'll be watching to see if the price predictions are realised.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Ian Wegg wrote:
dissolute wrote:Emma's gorgeous Elan S3 Drophead Coupé is up for sale!
Well spotted. It seems that Deryck Norville is putting all his Lotuses - known, for some reason, as "The Piddington Collection" - up for auction.

Image Image
Image Image

Most of them have had famous owners. The white S3 "SAR 57D" belonged to Peter Sellers; F1 driver Jochen Rindt was given the blue coupe by Lotus boss Colin Chapman.

There is some interesting information about Emma Peel's car in the auction listing, although I'd take issue with some of the comments about its time with Michael Dezer. Far from "being persuaded to part with the car", a scroll back through this thread shows that it had actually been on sale from the time Dezer got it. I'm pretty certain it was really only the James Bond vehicles that Dezer wanted from the old Keswick collection.

Anyway, I'll be watching to see if the price predictions are realised.

thanks for posting the pics of the cars..quite a collection..and great to see' em in fine shape...British cars such as MG's and Truimph's were somewhat quite poplar in the states...and I own a MGA and MG midget at one time...but never saw many Lotus's over here..barely...I don't think at least over here, they were all that popular....or maybe the production wasn't as vast as the others...
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Emma's Lotus looks incredible for a car that must be 57 years old. It's lovingly maintained. What is the starting price at the auction? I'd be interested to know the final sale price. I wish I had money to spare :!:
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

cyberrich wrote:Emma's Lotus looks incredible for a car that must be 57 years old. It's lovingly maintained. What is the starting price at the auction? I'd be interested to know the final sale price. I wish I had money to spare :!:
GUIDE PRICE: £80,000 - £120,000
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Thanks Piers. Given the car's history that's not a bad price. Please post the final bid if you hear of it. I'm guessing more than £120,000.
mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by mariocki »

Ian Wegg wrote: Well spotted. It seems that Deryck Norville is putting all his Lotuses - known, for some reason, as "The Piddington Collection" - up for auction.
Piddington in Northampton was where Deryck lived when I visited him.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

mariocki wrote:Piddington in Northampton was where Deryck lived when I visited him.
Ah, thanks! That makes sense.
cyberrich wrote:Thanks Piers. Given the car's history that's not a bad price. Please post the final bid if you hear of it. I'm guessing more than £120,000.
I've been buying and selling cars at auction for nearly half a century but I'm still no good at predicting values! When Steed's Jaguar from TNA came up for sale in 2015 I thought the £10-12,000 guide price was a bit optimistic given the state of the car but the buyer paid nearly £71K for it, proving how little I know.

You can register on the Silverstone site and monitor the auction when it goes live. I won't be though ... the last time I did that I accidentally bought a 1932 Austin 7 Chummy. Mrs W was surprisingly understanding but I'm not risking it again!
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

cyberrich wrote:Thanks Piers. Given the car's history that's not a bad price. Please post the final bid if you hear of it. I'm guessing more than £120,000.
Indeed, I did see mention somewhere of up to £300,000
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:
Indeed, I did see mention somewhere of up to £300,000
that is pretty mind boggling....

has anyone within the forum have owned one of these vehicles ?

as I mentioned earlier, I owned a '65 MG Midget... and in the past owned
both a MGA , and a MGB.......as British cars in the States were somewhat common to UK sports car fans...I've never seen a Lotus like Mrs. Peel's
over here....and I'm sure a few did make it over here...