The Complete Avengers: 50th Anniversary Edition (39 Discs)

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by mariocki »

Of course but is anyone really going to pay £28 more for a newer edition when the content is the same?
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Canal moves in mysterious ways... inexplicable, even!
Last watched: "Build a Better Mousetrap"
marquon
White Dwarf

Current Box Set vs 2001 DVD releases

Post by marquon »

Newbie!

Apologies if this has already been covered, but... are there any differences (apart from being polished up/digitally remastered) between the two sets of releases? I'm thinking in terms of the individual episodes?

For example, are any episodes edited now that weren't, or were edited before but have been restored in the digital version?

Cheers.
Member of S.T.E.E.D. (The Society for Television Excellence in Every Department).
Jace
Thingumajig

Post by Jace »

I finally bought the original Optimum 'book-style' 50th set. The image quality is superb! However, the speed/pitch of the voices are indeed a bit higher on my set in the US. Some of Diana Rigg's throaty charm is lost in translation. Hopefully I will get used to it. Also makes me hope for a US Blu-ray soon.

The binding seems slightly fragile. Did this set originally come inside a slipcase?

Best,
-Jason
Dene
Nutshell

Post by Dene »

Jace wrote:I finally bought the original Optimum 'book-style' 50th set. The image quality is superb! However, the speed/pitch of the voices are indeed a bit higher on my set in the US. Some of Diana Rigg's throaty charm is lost in translation. Hopefully I will get used to it. Also makes me hope for a US Blu-ray soon.
I ripped them and used VirtualDubmod and AviSynth to correct them to 23.976fps. Well, some of my favourites. It would take a while to do 87 episodes!

The PQ on the Optimum set is so good the results are excellent.

Have become quite militant about PAL speedup over the years and try to avoid if possible. You'd soon hear about it if the entirety of Europe started playing all music 4% faster!

A Blu-ray would be better than monkeying around with video formats, of course.
Jace
Thingumajig

Post by Jace »

In case others are interested, here is a quick video I made comparing the A&E NTSC set with the Optimum PAL set using an all-region player. You can hear the PAL speed-up pretty clearly. Scenes are from Return of the Cybernauts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4d101I5Bvg
NickP
Little Wonder

Post by NickP »

An interesting comparison.

It's never occurred to me to be worried about it before though. The "faster" version is how I've always watched The Avengers, so for me the DVD's are faithful to the original broadcast.
Jace
Thingumajig

Post by Jace »

interesting! does that mean you've always seen the PAL version- and that even on a PAL system, the pitch is higher?
NickP
Little Wonder

Post by NickP »

Indeed. I have always lived in the UK whose TV systems (PAL now and its predecessors) have always run at 25fps. Film shot at 24fps are just shown at the higher rate, I've never heard anyone complaining about it!
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Odd, when they first came out there were pitch-shift problems but they were all solved - my set certainly sounds great and the picture quality is superb.

The issue is it's the quick and dirty 2:2 24 @ 25 pulldown they used, the old Contender & A&E sets didn't have the issue.

I might roll mine out for another listen...
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.