5%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 19

MaxRebo120
White Dwarf

Re: 4.08 - Room Without A View

Post by MaxRebo120 »

Frankymole wrote:All of Cathy's are better than this! Might be a Venus Smith one though ;)
Haha, my post was in no way meant to be a slight towards the Cathy Gale era! If my hunch is right, then it's possible the script was been rejected then for being too monotonous.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

MaxRebo120 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:45 pm 5/10

My least-favorite of the monochrome Emmas and possibly my least-favorite Emma episode period. It's a shame though, because there is potential. Steed and Mrs. Peel infiltrating a hotel really could have been a fun episode. But save for a few scenes, it's just a bore. Was the script a holdover from the Cathy Gale era?

Also, I wish the villains were just an independent group of baddies (merely selling off agents to "the other side") rather than actual Red China. It would have spared us some dismal yellowface.
They are an independent group of baddies, they just happen to work with the Chinese laundry to maintain the illusion of the prison being in China. The yellow face on the stuntmen sucks though, I'm guessing Michael Chow and Anthony Chinn didn't do stunts.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Gave this my first viewing last night, yes really! I saved a couple of episodes to have "a new one" a last time.

This is probably my least favourite of series four. It lacks anything to make it stand out, my guess is this could have been the cheapie of the production block.

Not having grand sets or any location shots is something I could forgive, but nothing in the episodes really emerges to captivate you. Sure a stylish shot or set here or there and a few good Steed/Peel moments, but the eccentric characters are just small side bits, the mastermind though interesting in its conception isn't integral to the episodes and his no# 2 isn't allowed to fill the gap. Also the whole plot of the fake Manchurian camp isn't brought to the screen with any conviction. Just an uninspiring set toward the very end and an interrogator that is seen to shortly to be menacing for the viewer.

It indeed seems this episode is stuck in the series two/three days. Had this been videotaped it might very well have worked. It has lots of potential of which little reaches the screen and falls short of what a filmed episode can be.