Series 6 - Episode 23
Homicide and Old Lace
Teleplay by Malcolm Hulke & Terrance Dicks
Directed by John Hough
Continuity & Trivia
- Running time: 50'04"
- 2:13 - Another dusty outing for the caption scanner, the opening credits are quite gritty.
- 2:13 - The captions start with just the word 'Homicide', then expand to the full titles and finally are augmented after a second with a lace overlay on the screen.
- 2:13 - the music under the opening titles is taken from the Mackiedockie Court sequences from ESCAPE
- This episode is a cheapie! Half of it is recycled footage from Emma Peel episodes (the cast members and killings with the coloured background denote the recycled footage); the rest of it is recycled footage from the abandoned "The Great Great Britain Crime", filmed in late 1967 under John Bryce's production.
- 5:06 (5:02) - Elrick being chased by Verett and Robin across the scaffolding from The Bird Who Knew Too Much.
- 5:46 - Repeat of footage from 5:29.
- 6:27 (6:10) - Danvers being stalked by Robin from The Bird Who Knew Too Much.
- 7:21 (6:56) - Hubert, Mickle, Wilson and Martin repeating their actions from Murdersville.
- 15:51 (15:40) - Gilbert trying to kill Steed with a bulldozer, straight from The Fear Merchants.
- 16:55 (16:24) - Professor Stone reiterating his murderous mechanical attack upon Steed from Never, Never Say Die
- 8:19 - A word has been removed from Patrick Newell's sentence "He would deliver it at Steed's apartment --- personally".
- 9:49 - The driver of the van (maybe George Hilsdon) is not the man who was driving it up until around 9:04.
- 10:30 - older footage from John Bryce's shoots, colour shifted and dirty.
- 13:50-14:10 - Brian Clemens pokes fun at John Bryce : Mother's Aunt Harriet questions Tara being a blonde, "Just a minute. You made Tara King a blonde... I've seen her, she's a brunette." - Mother bluster a retort, "If I wish to make Tara sky blue, pink, I will!"
- 14:29 - Even with the stocking over her head, it's clearly Cyd Child & Paul Weston.
- 14:57 - Steed's calling card, dropped into the bucket, reads: 460-9618 / John Steed, 3 Stable Mews, City of London.
- 15:25/15:35 - Freddie Cartwright is shot, mistaken for Steed as he's wearing one of Steed's suits - not only that, he's also getting out of what was originally intended to be Steed's car for the series, the maroon AC 428 Frua.
I strongly suspect the original scene in "The Great Great Britain Crime" was of Steed being ambushed by Intercrime (or Murder-International, or whoever they are...) Strangely, Maxwell Craig also played Wilson, uncredited, in Murdersville and that footage was reused earlier in this episode at 7:21.
- 15:49 - Some odd editing: cutting away in the middle of zooming in on Mother to a profile shot of his Aunts, then cutting back to the zoomed shot.
- 16:38 - Product placement for Herbert Johnson & Sons.
- 18:21 - The photo of Tara in the file is one of Linda Thorson's standard promotional stills.
- 18:22 - Is this the only outing of the Lotus 2+2?
- 18:30 - That's some fancy driving by Romo Gorrara in the green mini and Cyd Child in the Lotus.
- 19:09 - Reused close-up of Fuller from 15:08.
- 19:10 - Fuller tells Steed that Intercrime's address is 199 Royal Avenue, SW7.
- 19:33 - A piano version of the theme tune is played in the background.
- 20:16 - Dunbar's office looks like it's part of the set of Emma Peel's flat from Series Five.
- 23:56 - Mother oddly says, "Dubios had opened the safe in 59 and point 15 seconds flat" - Flat is usually used to mean exactly, and there's no fraction at all. Mother lates sys that Tara beats the time "at the proverbial last moment", I assume that means 59.14 seconds.
- 24:35 - Product placement for a Stadion 7 Jewels stopwatch.
- 25:14 onwards - You can see the shadow of the boom microphone on the wall above the lift.
- 26:25 - you can see the boom microphone in to top centre-right of the screen as we cut to Tara, having feigned a faint, in the chair.
- 26:45 - Colonel Corf shows Steed his favourite painting, "The Monarch of the Glen".
- 27:22 - Product placement for Thomas Withers safes.
- 30:35 - You can just see the boom microphone waver at the top of the screen above Macnee's head when we cut to the long shot.
- 37:28 - The driver starts moving before the henchman can get in and the scene is abruptly cut before it becomes apparent.
- 37:50 - Obvious use of a still frame while Tara disposes of the scientist (over which terrible corny sound effects are played).
- 40:16-40:50 - Classic padding: the aunts recap the entire plot of the episode so far.
- 41:48/41:51/41:57 - CU of Mother is OOF
- 44:24 et passim. - Colonel Corf's medals are:
MBE, Military Cross, 1939-45 Star
Africa Star, France and Germany Star, Defence Medal, War Medal 1939–1945
- 46:45x - Steed's killing of the African delegate with his sword stick has been cut from the final print.
- 49:50 - Patrick Newell says "Gottle of Geer" while pretending to ventriloquise and Patrick Macnee and Rhonda Parker burst out laughing.
- 49:52 - The closing credits start with the fanfare played by Izzy Pound in The Interrogators, then becomes a silent movie style soundtrack version of the theme tune, then bizarrely ends with the Series 5 fanfare.
|Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III Saloon 1963||white||3 KMH|
|Austin 1800||maroon||JYT 518D|
|Jaguar Mk II 2.4 1960||cream||338 DYU|
|BMC 250 JU Minibus 1967||white with purple Orpheus Tours signs||KVF 10K|
|Rolls-Royce 40/50 h.p. 'Silver Ghost' 1923 H.J.Mulliner tourer (chassis number 46LK)||pale lemon||KK 4976|
|Rover 2000 P6 1966||sky blue||JLL 376D|
|Austin Mini Super Deluxe Mk I 1963i||green||135 FAC|
|AC 428 Frua Drophead Convertible Coupé 1965 Prototype (CF1)||maroon||LPH 800D|
|Fowler bulldozer||yellow||LYV 100|
|Lotus Elan +2 (Type 50) 1967||red||NPW 999F|
|Morris Mini||red||BMU 837A|
|Winchester Mk.III Taxi 1967||black||SRK 943F|
|Morris Minor O-Type 1957 van||green (Post Office)||?|
|Austin A152 Omnicoach or Morris J2 Minibus 1966||white with purple Orpheus Tours signs||GYP 682D|
|Morris FE Mk III 1955 removals van||blue||JML 59|
Who's Killing Whom?
|Freddie Cartwright||Thug||bren gun|
|Thug (?)||Tara||sub-machine gun|
|African delegate||Steed||Umbrella sword stick|
|Elrick||Robin||falls off scaffold into wet cement|
|Gilbert||Steed||crushed by bulldozer|
Click a name to see the face