Series 6 - Episode 22
Teleplay by Jeremy Burnham
Directed by John Hough
Continuity & Trivia
- 4:13 - Steed seems to get Haller and Valarti mixed up when he first greets them at 3:00; he gets it right from 4:13 onwards.
- 4:36 et passim. - The fog-bound set upon which most of the action of this episode takes place is reused in the intro scene of Who Was That Man I Saw You With? nad uses the same pre-fab cobblestones as the opening scene of The Correct Way To Kill.
- 4:47 - Is that Cliff Diggins with a false beard stalking through the mist as the killer?
- 8:35 - Emulating the master - John Hough uses one of Peter Hammond's directorial tricks, filming through Grunner spectacles to have a multi-layered shot. Hammond was Hough's mentor and encouraged him to become a director.
- 9:00 - The telephone in the booth bears the number 460-9618 X, but why is there a standard telephone in a booth?
- 11:26 - "We're just entering the month of November now" - more overlapping cases for The Avengers? It is, however, att odd with Sander's receipt (38:50) : Sir Geoffrey Armstrong 7th Nov 1968 : To the hire of one hansom-cab Four weeks rental in advance : £80/-/-.
- 12:50 & 14:20 - Mask and Face Theatrical Costumiers, 15 Corder Street W1
- 15:00 - We skip from Mask &338; Face straight to Osgood's - David Lodge's scenes as the master cutler, Maskell, who gives Steed the lead to Armstrong from the sword stick all ended up on the cutting room floor; he remains billed in the closing credits even though he never appears on screen.
- 23:59 - Surely one of the members is Charles Osgood, who's just been murdered.
- 26:27 (26:50) - the iron maiden from Castle De'ath is in the club's black museum.
- 31:00 - Hand-held camerawork here, as mentioned by John Hough in his commentary for XXX.
- 31:20 - You can tel it's Travers in the mid shot, the scene isn't quite dark enough to keep his identity a mystery.
- 36:18 - That's a stand-in for Macnee striding through the fog.
- 37:55 - the cartwheel topples and runs over the dead Sanders, but in the next shot it's squarely against the desk, Sanders no longer in shot.
- 38:50 - Bartholemew Sanders, Conveyancers of Quality were located in Grantson Mews, London (must be W1 as it's close to the costumiers, and Steed sets off on foot to visit it).
- 47:35 - Steed says that Kezorkian, the Russina Imperial Guard, taught him to dodge dart thrown at blinding speed, a precursor to The Gladiators...
- 47:57 - Obviously stunt doubles for the sword fight.
- 48:25 - Steed releases Tara and asks her how her ankle is; she quips, "I just can't bear traps".
- Running time: 50'10"
Who's Killing Whom?
Click a name to see the face