Series 6 - Episode 18
The Curious Case of the Countless Clues
Teleplay by Philip Levene
Directed by Don Sharp
Continuity & Trivia
- 1:38 - The murderer is estimated to be of medium height and 140lbs due to his size 8 shoes - I assume Earle is describing Burgess.
- 7:16 - The boom microphone dips into shot at top left when Steed goes to look at the space on the wall where a portrait has been removed.
- 9:50 et passim. - Tara steals a few shots from Hitchcock's Rear Window, peering out the window while in her wheelchair.
- 10:15 - How did Gardiner learn Steed's name? He seemed to stay in the car, watching Tara's flat.
- 18:35 etc. - There's a hair stuck to the camera lens at bottom left in the close-ups of Steed. It's definitely on the camera as it's only on the CUs of Steed, it disappears when the vision is on Flanders.
- 35:50 - The towing plate on the front of the truck is 768 MX, which we see again at 37:12 on the back of the towed car, but at 37:42 (front), 42:36 (back) and 44:40 (front) the towing plates read 598 H - as seen earlier in the episode when Stanley stopped to assist Flanders.
- 36:17 - The fight between Steed and Stanley is sped up, which robs the scene of any gravity.
- 45:36 - Lucky for Tara that Earle & Gardiner had taken Steed's bowler hat, she's able to knock Earle out with the steel rim when she throws it at him.
- 47:15 - How did Steed's bowler end up under the fireman's pole anyway? Last we saw it, it was the other side of the room.
- The villains are Earle, Stanley and Gardiner; a very obvious reference to crime/law fiction writer Erle Stanley Gardner, who is best remembered for his Perry Mason books. Of course, the episode's title is in the vein of Perry Mason book (and television episode) titles.
- Tracey Reed once auditioned to be the female lead in The Avengers.
- Peter Jones' voice is now more famous than his face - he played "The Book" in Douglas Adams' seminal radio serial, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".
- Running time: 49'19".
Who's Killing Whom?
Click a name to see the face