Series 6 - Episode 15
Invasion of the Earthmen
Teleplay by Terry Nation
Directed by Don Sharp
Continuity & Trivia
- 2:07 - That's a laughably fake python.
- 3:30-4:00 - Steed is instructing Tara here, but the episode was shown (depending on your region) quite late in the run.
- 4:10 - Tara dons a blonde wig as a disguise - to make the reused location footage and other inserts from the early shooting useable.
- 4:25 - Notice it's Steed driving the AC 428 - John Bryce had originally intended to do away with the vintage cars and have Steed drive the sportscar.
- 5:20 - A clear sign it was an early episode: Tara apologises for not having found the Alpha Academy brochure in a concealed compartment of Grant's suitcase and Steed blithely says, "No reason you should know; Regulations."
- 16:54 - Some more reused footage, Linda is almost unrecognisable when going through the wire.
- Avengers humour: The cryogenically frozen student is named "Penelope Hardwood".
- 24:26 - It looks like the same cavern staircase set as Quilbey's laboratory The See-Through Man.
- 31:05 - The fervent optimism of the Sixties : "But it may be fifty years before space travel's made that easy." That would put it in 2018.
- 37:42 - The skinny dark haired boy is at top of stairs in long shot but when we cut to the mid shot of Tara attacking, he's become a bulky fair stuntman, who falls down the stairs (upon which the dark boy replaces him).
- The Tunnel is an interesting concept, but it's fairly poorly executed.
- 38:12 - spider webs and a lion roar sound effect
- 38:41 - rats (amusing accompanied by the music from The Fear Merchants)
- 39:55 - trapped in a metal tube
- 40:27 - obviously fake spiders which are dropped and pushed into the tube
- 41:30 - a steel bear trap
- 42:00 - a pool of acid
- 41:00 - When Tara lifts the metal plate in the tube, you can see the straight edge near the camera, revealing it to have not sealed the tube at all.
- Running time: 49'19".
- Warren Clarke, playing Trump here, is better known to modern audiences as Inspector Dalziell in the long-running series Dalziell and Pascoe; he's also done Down to Earth.
- This is a left over John Bryce produced episode, resurrected and re-edited by Clemens, which is why Tara dons the blonde wig disguise at the beginning of the episode - back in early 1967 she had been filmed with bleached hair and this transparent device was the easiest way to overcome this hurdle.
- It's odd to get this episode so late in the season, as so much of the script has Tara being a starry eyed newcomer, startled at Steed's blasé attitude to death. Clemens should have taken a broader knife to the script when he resurrected this John Bryce episode, or scheduled it earlier in the season - at 5:30
|AC 428 Frua||maroon||LPH 800D|
|Land Rover SWB soft top||navy||695 EAC|
Who's Killing Whom?
|Grant||Boa constrictor||squeezed and eaten|
Click a name to see the face