Series 6 — Episode 13
Teleplay by Richard Harris and Brian Clemens
Directed by Charles Crichton
Production No E.67.9.19
Production completed: October 31 1968. First transmission: January 1 1969.
|Tyne Tees Television||1/01/1969||8:00pm|
TV Times listing
8.25 The Avengers
Christopher Lee in
By Richard Harris, Brian Clemens
Steed and Tara scent trouble when two contacts of secret agent Lt. Roy Caspar are found dead. Caspar denies any knowledge of the affair, even when confronted with one of the bodies. Caspar meets his death and then one of the contacts of agent Minnow is killed. Like Caspar before him, Minnow refuses to throw any light on the murder until Mother puts the pressure on…
It seems that a certain Colonel Mannering has found an ingenious method of eliciting vital information from Mother’s agents. Tara and Steed join battle with the Colonel in an effort to show their agents that they are being duped, but nerves of steel are needed before they can prove their point.
|John Steed||Patrick Macnee|
|Tara King||Linda Thorson|
|Col. Mannering||Christopher Lee|
|Mr. Puffin||Cardew Robinson|
|Captain Soo||Cecil Cheng|
|Naval officer||Mark Elwes|
|R.A.F. officer||David Richards|
Designer Robert Jones; Director Charles Crichton; Producers Albert Fennell, Brian Clemens
The 1980s repeat listing greatly truncates the plot synopsis but adds a credit for Executive in Charge of Production Gordon L. T. Scott.
|ABN2 Sydney, Australia||28/03/1969||8:00pm|
|ABV2 Melbourne, Australia||25/03/1969||8:30pm|
|ABC New York, USA||20/01/1969||7:30pm|
|ORTF2 France||23/1/82 TF1|
|Suisse Romande, Switzerland|
|German title||Mannerings Fragestunde|
|Dutch title||De ondervraagden|
|TTI Italy||28/1/1981 C51|
|Italian title||Gli inquisitori|
|Spanish title||Los Interrogadores|
Only the United States of America, Australia, and the Netherlands showed this episode in first-run series.
Continuity & Trivia
- passim. - Colonel Mannering’s presumably fake medals are:
Distinguished Service Order, OBE
1939–45 Star, Africa Star with 8th Army clasp, Italy Star, France and Germany Star
Defence Medal, War Medal 1939–45 with oak leaf for being mentioned in dispatches, Korea Medal, United Nations Service Medal for Korea
General Service Medal (1918–61), General Service Medal (1962), Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal, Croix de Guerre 1939–1945
The same medals are worn by Brigadier Hansing in The Morning After.
- 1:48 — Lt Roy Caspar’s serial number is 22413791. He wears just the two General Service Medal ribbons when in dress uniform.
- 2:16 (2:20) - Christopher Lee emerges from a corner of the surgery which was completely empty 20 seconds earlier.
- 2:55 — The caption title acetates are very dirty, there’s grit and hair all over it.
- 3:08 — Steed has an antique phone in the Bentley again.
- 3:10–3:22 — That’s a stand-in for Macnee.
- 3:25 — Steed dials 0 to enter Mother’s HQ through the phone booth.
- 3:30 (3:50) - Mother’s HQ is hidden, Get Smart style, behind a telephone box.
- 8:29 — Yet another visit to the quarry last seen in the previous episode, They Keep Killing Steed.
- 11:15 — There’s a hair at top right after the guards drag Caspar thruogh the door.
- 15:29 — The boom microphone dips alarmingly into shot as Steed stands up from questioning Caspar.
- 16:03 — The boom micropohne appears again, waggles about until 16:08 and then you see its shadow on the wall for a few seconds.
- 31:22 (32:10) - Tara has been selected to go to Centre 53 to attend TOHE course A7. The documents are covered by Secret Security Sealed Instruction 47, subsection QR4932.
- 35:46 — The boom microphone appears again when Tara is introduced to the other officers in the bar.
- 44:55–45:00 — one of the officers runs through a door in an army uniform and a couple of seconds later he is wearing a navy uniform.
- 46:25 — There’s a hair in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- 46:46 — You can see a painted backdrop through the French doors.
- 47:00 — Steed’s bowler has a steel crown this week, deflecting Toy’s bayonet.
- 47:31 — There’s a hair top left as Steed is apprehended by the officers.
- 49:50 (51:19) - Steed’s intonation “not to give away your secret recipe” is obviously redubbed.
- Running time: 50′20″
|Rolls-Royce 40/50 h.p. ‘Silver Ghost’ 1923 H.J.Mulliner tourer (chassis number 46LK)||pale lemon||KK 4976|
|Vandenplas Princess||grey||CYT 392C|
|Austin 3 Litre||off white||NOV 319G|
|Brantly B-2 helicopter||white above, dark green below||G-AVCA|
Who’s Killing Whom?
|Wilson||Blackie||arrow fired from victim’s composite bow|
|Izzy Pound||Blackie||sniper rifle|