Series 6 - Episode 2
Super Secret Cypher Snatch
Teleplay by Tony Williamson
Directed by John Hough
Continuity & Trivia
- 3:27 - The photograph of cypher documents under the titles has real information relating to the confusion around code words.
- 3:30-3:33 - Super Secret Cypher Snatch is one of those rare episodes with more than one title screen:
(And there are grounds for saying it's full title is Sepet Sucpre Cncehc Sypare : Super Secret Cypher Snatch).
- 4:09 - The boom microphone drops into shot as Mother is telling Steed and Tara about the dead agent.
- 4:35 - Mother gripes about the job being given to MI12 for them to be properly 'blooded'.
- 6:00 - Betty has a red security pass, putting her on the same level as Steed, Tara and Lord Barnes.
- 7:42 - Roger Jarret's address: 9 Phildeu Road London W8
- 7:49 - Ferret is wearing an Old Etonian tie throughout the episode.
- 7:49 - Peters' glasses don't fit him, and are crooked in every scene - was it deliberate?
- 7:50 - Coded message "With all my love, Yvette" is decoded by Ferret : With all - urgent, Love - crash priority, Yvette - our msan in Paris
- 11:36-12:22 -When they inventory Jarret's belongings, they find a comb (high frequency resonators), tie-clip (microphone), wallet (survival kit, K issue), cigarette case (.22 pistol with twin magazines and a self-loader), a pen (Tara suggests it might be a hand-operated short-range grenade but is told it's a dispatch case).
HOWEVER, Tara's notes, which we see as she unrolls the calendar page found inside the pen, read:
1 comb, 1 wallet, 1 pr cuff links, 1 cigarette case
- 17:11 - When Peters zooms in with the projector, we see a completely different shot of Myra instead of an enlargement of the previous photo.
- 19:04 - Tara's hair is completely different when she reaches the bottom of the ladder and looks back up.
- 20:05 - The scene of the men being dismissed is almost identical to the shot at 38:11, the actors are even on the same marks.
- 24:00 - Why does Steed have an oversized fountain pen?
- 24:26 - Lather calls the apprentice "Wilson", but at 22:42 he called him "James".
- 24:28 - A thread appears, dangling in the top right corner, in the shot of Lather.
- 27:40 - Steed has an antique phone in his car.
- 27:48 - Cypher HQ is in Lessington - all the lines are engaged and the security 010 number is out of service.
- 31:55 - There's an odd flash of light against the wall in the top right corner.
- 33:40 - Ivor Dean is breathing as they examine his body.
- 38:16 - The man who just blocked the telephone lines and radioed in to give the all clear is one of the men at the trucks.
- 41:10 - Donald Gee looks straight down the camera lens as he finishes fitting the earpieces to Myra.
- 41:15 - The files taken out of the cabinet are for Henrik Rostov and Gerald Bancroft.
- 41:24 - Considerable product placement for several makes of camera, and the reel to reel tape machines.
- 43:50 - Patrick Macnee does some of the minor stunts for the fight.
- 45:31 - Tara didn't hear the autosuggestion, so how did she wake (and why didn't Webster?) when Steed set the alarm on his watch?
- 46:40 - The mid-shot with Lather and Steed in profile sees the return of the dangling thread at top right.
- Running time: 49'27"
Who's Killing Whom?
Click a name to see the face
- sky blue minidress, long-sleeved, with pink shoes and a pink/blue neckscarf
- black slacks with yellow snakeskin belt, black vest fastened with gold pin, white long-sleeved blouse, blue and white cravat
- Navy silk blouse, high collar, worn with black slacks, yellow snakeskin belt and and royal blue and white cravat
- the above with a green jacket with blue buttons and trim
- pink minidress with orange and pink neckscarf
- Navy silk blouse, high collar, worn with a green short jacket, black slacks, yellow snakeskin belt and royal blue and white cravat
- pale lime minidress, buttoned front, with tan calf boots
- black evening dress with bright green feather boa