Series 3 - Episode 16
The Medicine Men
by Malcolm Hulke
Designed by David Marshall
Directed by Kim Mills
Production Number : 3615
Teddington Studio 1
Thursday, 7th November, 1963
|VTR Inserts 3135/A )
- 3135/A - 00:53-1:47 - Scene 1, Tu Hsiu Yung is murdered at the Turkish baths
- 3135/B - 10:01-11:25 - Scene 7, Cathy sees Fay at the baths
- 3135/C - 49:40-50:44 - Scene 51, Steed and Cathy farewell Fay at Steed's flat
Friday, 8th November, 1963
|Tea break, line up,
normal scan, make-up
Expected: 51'25" excluding commercial breaks
Actual running time with bumpers: 51'57"
The bumpers between the acts are generally 10 seconds from fade in to the "End of Act" bumper to the end of audio before the commercial, a 10 second still without audio, then cut to the next act bumper. This would play with the theme for around 10 seconds. Accordingly, with the episodes being in 3 acts, the running time of the action is approximately a minute less than listed above, minus the opening and closing credits (normally 0'16", with a 2" fade, and anywhere from 0'41" to 1'20", hard cut or 1" fade or mix, respectively).
|London||23rd November 1963|
|Sydney||5th January 1965|
|Melbourne||24th January 1966|
|Sound:||3 Booms; 1 Slung Mic. Practical Intercom. between Miss Dowell's Office and Geoffrey's Office; between Miss Dowell's Office and John' s Office.|
|Telecine:||A.B.C. Symbol and Avengers Opening Titles Caption Scanner|
|Tu Shu Yeung||Miss Dowell||Strangled|
|Edwards||Miss Dowell||Strangled (then hanged to make it look like suicide)|
- 0:00 - there's a vertical streak and spot at lower middle left on the transfer plate, which is there for the entire episode.
- 1:45 - The opening credits feature a fade to black under the titles as the steam rolls in around Miss Tu, then a fade up to Steed making coffee.
- 1:58 - Mrs Gale prefers her coffee with one lump of sugar. However, it's quite obvious the cup is empty.
- 2:15 - Cathy caustically asks, "What happened to polo?" when Steed sets a bowler hat on her feet to practice golf. Steed laughs and says his two ponies took a fancy to each other and lost interest in the game.
- 6:57 - the cameraman completely loses focus when Peter Barkworth leans back in his chair.
- 7:33 - there's a spot on the camera lens for the CU of Barkworth (top left), it returns 22:34 when Cathy enter WS Snr's office and meets Fay.
- 11:07 - Honor Blackman chucks her towel away when she enters the shower, and the mid shot when she's in there is a bit low, and her right nipple is inadvertently shown on screen.
- 19:01 - Cathy's second chip shot clearly skids across the floor, but the close-up of the hat has it dropping in nonetheless. The bowler, by the way, is a Barnaby & Son instead of Steed's usual Herbert Johnson.
- 23:07 - The painting of paint daubs from Fay's body is signed Lesson instead of Leeson.
- 26:31 - "When she's not out spending his mod - meny, she's modelling for an action painter"
- 48:49 - a hair sticks to the transfer plate just to the right of bottom centre, it remains there until the end of the episode.