Series 3 - Episode 14
The Secrets Broker
by Ludovic Peters
Designed by Anne Spavin
Directed by Jonathan Alwyn
Production Number : 3613
VTR/ABC/3094 + 3094A
Teddington Studio 2
Friday, 18th October, 1963
|Line-up, make-up, etc.||20.00-20.30|
VTR Insert 2094A - 47:56-50:09 - Climax scene where Steed visits the temple and wine shop, and the villains are apprehended.
Saturday, 19th October, 1963
|Tea break, line up,
normal scan and make-up
|Photo call (Pat/Honor)||16.15-17.30|
Expected: 51'25" + 2 commercial breaks of 2.35 each
Actual running time with bumpers: 52'07"
The bumpers between the acts are generally 10 seconds from fade in to the "End of Act" bumper to the end of audio before the commercial, a 10 second still without audio, then cut to the next act bumper. This would play with the theme for around 10 seconds. Accordingly, with the episodes being in 3 acts, the running time of the action is approximately a minute less than listed above, minus the opening and closing credits (normally 0'16", with a 2" fade, and anywhere from 0'41" to 1'20", hard cut or 1" fade or mix, respectively).
|London||1st February 1964|
|Sydney||12th January 1965|
|Melbourne||31st January 1966|
|Cameras:||4 pedestals. Extra monitor (closed oircuit TV) in Cathy's Flat.|
|Sound:||3 booms, 2 slung mics. (Yard & Ext. Paigntons' Flat), 3 praot. telephones (Lab. Office, Paigntons' Flat, Cathy's Flat), grams, tape, echo.|
|Telecine:||ABC symbol + "Avengers" opening titles, 1 slide, caption scanner. (sof)|
|PRE-VTR:||4 cameras, 2 booms, 1 slung mic. (Yard), grams, tape.|
|Marshall||Freddy Paignton||Revolver (off camera)|
|Cliff Howard||Freddy Paignton||Revolver|
|Freddy Paignton||Bruno or Waller?||? (off camera)|
- passim - the transfer is offset and there's a streak of black down the right side of the screen for the entire episode.
- 1:40 - Julia's message 'from the other side' for Freddy: "Marshall is waiting for you. There may be danger but you must act quickly. Marshall must join our friends on the other side."
- 2:22 - another appearance of Cathy's CCTV doorbell; Steed later tells her (25:05) he's not appearing on her telly screen again until it's in colour. Ironic, as the show was in black and white for another season and a half.
- 3:24 - "Talking of papers - Anything else? Oh. - Talking of papers..."
- 6:10 - Patricia English's first words are indistinct as the microphone's in the wrong place.
- 9:40 - Steed tastes a Chambertain and comments on it's climate and the grape, pinot noir. Waller then hands him a new glass and Steed says he doesn't like Sauterne, "and it's not Chateau d'Yquem". Waller is grumpy about this and says it's a good one, Steed muses briefly and declares it a Rayne-Vigneau. He's then offered a Hock "of course they're all reisling these days"
- 11:00 - Steed refers to the "Hatstack" grape going out instead of the Harteisnsch grape.
- 12:35 - When Steed says "My Waterloo", Waller ad libs and comments, "A Vichy water too".
- 14:18 - Cathy suggest Steed let "those forensic people" have a look at the wine list.
- 14:38 - Fearful the stage hand has missed his cue, Steed calls "Open Sesame" as he approaches the door.
- 15:43 - the close-up of Marion is marred by spots on the lens of Camera 4, including one right in the middle of her forehead; there are a few more, including a streak or two, at top right. They're still there after the commercial break in the two-up shot at 20:51.
- 19:21, 27:50, 38:25, (39:51), 45:29, 50:36 - picture breakup.
- 21:28 - the camera bumps into the wineshop counter when it tracks in on Steed.
- 22:50 - the wine box has come from a real wine merchant and the name has been blocked out, later we see a case that hasn't been entirely block - it looks like Stowe's or Crowe's of Chelsea. Some of the wine labels have also been taped over, presumably to avoid having to pay royalty payments. A far cry from the product placement of The Golden Eggs which invloved a close-up of Steed cutting a cowboy out of a cereal packet.
- 23:51 - Fluffed dialogue (Honor Blackman): "Does anybody know - else know about these precautions except for yourself?"
- 23:55 - Ringham accidentally refers to "Jim Gale" instead of "Jim Carey".[25:04??]
- 27:51 - Macnee adlibs a line during the tasting, identifying the wine he's tasting as Nuits-Saint-George.
- 33:27 - the boom microphone appears at top left as the camera tracks backwards and left.
- 45:15 - smudge on Camera 1's lens in the CU of Allan when he says, "I'm sorry but I can't."
- 46:05 - Fluffed dialogue (45:44) - Mrs Wilson: "Marian Howard preeving - proving more tiresome than we'd expected, that's all".
- 47:56-50:09 - VTR insert - Steed is captured by Julia, whom he easily overpowers. Bruno and Waller attack him but Steed and Cathy manage to overcome them after a struggle. Allan then enters the cellar, having captured the Wilsons.
- 49:35 - the shot of Waller is out of focus.