Series 2 - Episode 19
The Golden Eggs
Teleplay by Martin Woodhouse
Directed by Peter Hammond
Production Number : 3518
Teddington Studio 1
Wednesday 30th January 1963
Thursday 31st January 1963
|Tea break, Line up,
Normal scan, Makeup
Actual running time with bumpers: 51'21"
The bumpers between the acts are generally 10 seconds from fade in to the "End of Act" bumper to the end of audio before the commercial, a 10 second still without audio, then cut to the next act bumper. This would play with the theme for around 10 seconds. Accordingly, with the episodes being in 3 acts, the running time of the action is approximately a minute less than listed above, minus the opening and closing credits (normally 0'16", with a 2" fade, and anywhere from 0'41" to 1'20", hard cut or 1" fade or mix, respectively).
|London||2nd February 1963|
|Sydney||24th February 1964|
|Melbourne||17th September 1964|
|Cameras:||5 Pedestals - one to be on rostrum.|
|Telecine:||A.B.C. symbol, 35 mm dubbed sound sequence. caption scanner and slides.|
|Campbell||Hillier||causes car to
run off road
|Hall||Hillier||causes car to
run off road
|DeLeon||Hillier||causes car to
run off road
|Austin ambulance||UXP 633|
- 2:22 - Blatant product placement: Steed is cutting a cowboy off the back of a packet of "Wild West Cornflakes" as the titles dissolve - Cathy joins him for breakfast, but the whole scene is played for product placement, the packet taking up the entire screen for several seconds, and remains clearly in view for nearly a minute, until Steed has demolished the box and thrown cornflakes everywhere. It's not a last-minute inclusion either, as it's in the camera script.
Box back, Box front, Steed with box
- 5:45 - Dr Ashe lives at Albermarle House, number 96.
- 7:20 - The cameraman makes a fast, clumsy pan from Dr Ashe to Cathy, it looks like he missed his cue and rushed to catch up before Cathy spoke.
- 20:08 - the strobing CU of Hillier continues under the "End of Part 1" caption for a second
- 23:33 (21:00) - Steed accidently calls Leo 'Leon DeLeon' then later refers to him as Leo.
- 25:15 - The cameraman pans upwards as Cathy and Mrs de Leon struggle, and we see the lamps in the studio ceiling for a moment. You can see some of the lights again behind Cathy when she's at the top of the stairs (27:06)
- 32:51 (32:16) - the closeup of the case hidden in the drain reveals all too clearly that the snow is balls of polystyrene. The snow effect for the rest of the scene is video mixing of a loop behind the action.
- 36:40 - Act 3 starts with a thread stuck to the transfer plate in the bottom righthand corner, it remains until the end of the episode.
- 38:40 - the cameraman pans fro mthe projector screen to Cathy and Dr Ashe, but misses completely and goes stright past them, then pans back to them.
- 39:30 - Verity Prime is highly infectious and resistant to chlorine, so can be transferred in the water supply - and can survive in dead tissue for up to four weeks.
- 45:38 - the lights are dimmed and the whole picture goes black for a moment - it seems like the effect they use at 46:14 when Cathy turns off all the power is used at the wrong time.