Series 2 - Episode 11
Traitor in Zebra
Teleplay by John Gilbert
Directed by Richmond Harding
Production Number : 3513
VTR/ABC/2171 & 2171A-C
Teddington Studio 1
Wednesday 28th November 1962
|Line-up & Make-up||19.45-20.15|
- 2171A - Scene 1, Crane is marched into Nash's office - 0:22-1:41
- 2171B - Scene 4, Steed speaks to Crane in his cell - 4:34-7:06
- 2171C - Scene 42, Nash concedes Crane is innocent - cut from the final print, it would have appeared at 46:12
- 1 - (25") - Steed arrives at the gates of HMS Zebra - 4:12-4:34
- 2 - (20") - Rankin walks his dog down the street and ties a message to its collar - 14:49-15:15
- 3 - (20") - Rankin watches Graham cross the green and enter the shop - 15:26-15:40
- 4 - (25") - Mellors drives up to the Glen-Dower Arms - 20:07-20:26
- 5 - (20") - Mellors is strangled by Franks in his car - 21:27-21:48
- 6 - (15") - Franks crosses the green and enters the shop - 30:27-30:39
- 7 - (20") - Steed and Cathy driving towards Franks' newspaper office - 43:44-43:55
Thursday 29th November 1962
|Tea break, Line-up,
Normal scan, Make-up
Expected: 51'25" + 2 commercial breaks 2.05
Actual running time with bumpers: 51'32"
The bumpers between the acts are generally 10 seconds from fade in to the "End of Act" bumper to the end of audio before the commercial, a 10 second still without audio, then cut to the next act bumper. This would play with the theme for around 10 seconds. Accordingly, with the episodes being in 3 acts, the running time of the action is approximately a minute less than listed above, minus the opening and closing credits (normally 0'16", with a 2" fade, and anywhere from 0'41" to 1'20", hard cut or 1" fade or mix, respectively).
|London||8th December 1962|
|Sydney||30th December 1963|
|Melbourne||23rd July -1964|
|Sound:||3 booms, 2 slung mics., 2 practical telephones, grams., tape.|
|Telecine:||ABC symbol, specially shot film with dubbed sound (aaprox. 3 minutes total length), 18 captions, & 5 slides.|
|VTR:||Three VTR Inserts (approx. lengths 1 minute, 2½ minutes & 30 seconds).|
|Alvis Speed 20 SC Vanden Plas Tourer 1935 (Steed's)||CPT 75|
|Morris Minor Traveller||UJY 292|
- 1:00 et passim - there's intermittent horizontal banding of the picture during the opening scene.
- 2:45 - Cathy reminds Steed, "You don't keep you hat on between decks" (i.e. inside).
- 5:00 - there are three smudges on Camera 2's lens, top right of the screen, and another lust left of centre, when Steed enters Crane's room. It's beeen cleaned by 11:00 when Camera 2 is used in the control room scene (scene 7).
- 5:27 - The new defence equipment is run by a ruby crystal and the formulae and calibration for it were found in Crane's locker, along with maps and a foreign dictionary which suggested he was planning to visit a foreign country. Crane had previous expressed positive opinions about an Eastern European country.
- 11:40 - a hair gets stuck in the transfer plate and stays at the bottom of the screen until 20:46, it's joined by a second one 12:15-12:30.
- 31:38 - the original script has Steed enter the shop after Franks threatens to kill Linda, but it was dropped and we cut straight to Cathy and Graham in the lab.
- 34:32 - the cameraman loses focus for a split second
- 42:41 - Steed is in a hurry to chase after Rankin but checks himself and says, "Sorry, after you, ladies first", ushering Maggie and Cathy before him. This is completely ad lib, it's not in the script at all. Steed's last words in the scene according to the script are "I think I know where..."
- 46:41 - a crew member crosses the back of the set, visible through the open door of the control room.