Cathy Gales on Bluray

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Re: Cathy Gales on Bluray

Post by Borgus Weems »

As the Cathy era is in PAL, there should be some extra tightness of image from a BluRay upgrade, at least from what we in the US have seen. They could also do a 4K upscan that may make it even crisper. I've seen that done for programs directly shot on video and it looks good. Hopefully the Emma/Tara sets do well enough for Imprint for them to commit to a Cathy one!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Yes it would be nice if they could sort the sound out too. Too much "noise reduction" has made them inaudible in some places on DVDs, and non-compressed/lossless (as near as they can manage) audio would be better.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

that is so true...the audio from the tape era...when the video was 'upgraded' the audio portions, sounded muddy, etc

I've noticed that...and actually went back to old VHS tapes, and fired up one of my decks..to compare sound etc
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

Frankymole wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:45 pm Yes it would be nice if they could sort the sound out too. Too much "noise reduction" has made them inaudible in some places on DVDs, and non-compressed/lossless (as near as they can manage) audio would be better.
The sound would be really easy to fix in the modern era... if for no other reason that would be a great reason to get them on Blu!
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

All episodes with English subtitles would be superb. I have no hearing issues and am proficient in English, yet subtitles make the viewing experience a lot better for me.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

I second the notion..I love sub titles..and it helps me to follow along...as my hearing is slowly going south..and some accents are hard to
listen to...
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

I too find subtitles very helpful, especially where dialogue is a bit indistinct, or conversation rapidly moves between several people. They can also help with spelling of unusual words like place names or even people's unusual names etc. When the subtitler gets it right! I have seen some hilarious howlers on BBC DVDs, videos and programmes. Most other DVD companies are quite good at it though. I saw one recently - can't remember if it was an Avengers one - that was really excellent, with a lot of words I thought they would get wrong actually achieved spot on, and even the noises and inarticulate utterings rendered quite ingeniously. Wish I could remember what it was!
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Frankymole wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:36 am I saw one recently - can't remember if it was an Avengers one - that was really excellent, with a lot of words I thought they would get wrong actually achieved spot on, and even the noises and inarticulate utterings rendered quite ingeniously. Wish I could remember what it was!
Oh, I remember now, it was one of the new Australian BluRays. Legacy of Death. I was watching it to check for the picture or sound faults that plagued the Canal DVD release. Very good subtitles and a nice size.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

no canal Discs here...Lionsgate here in the States..and they haven't done squat. except upgrade dvd graphics, and use the shoddy mastering as done by A & E from the VHS era...envy that you all have access to upgraded and better renderings of the series
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

mousemeat wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:47 am no canal Discs here...Lionsgate here in the States..and they haven't done squat. except upgrade dvd graphics, and use the shoddy mastering as done by A & E from the VHS era...envy that you all have access to upgraded and better renderings of the series
Yes, mustn't grumble - even though I've bought the series about 7 times over by now, we've never had it so good.

I doubt I'll ever pay for streamed versions though, no matter how sharp the picture or perfect the sound. The new Australian BluRay sets are probably the last time I will buy the series (mind you, I have said that before!). My eyes will never be good enough to tell 4K apart from the current High Definition on BluRay, for instance.