Age of Elegance Porcelain Avengers Figurines

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Age of Elegance Porcelain Avengers Figurines

Post by Avengerholic »

I've just rediscovered my boxed set while sorting out the loft. Does anyone know anything about them ? I know Steed & Emma Peel were part of the 90's Lumiere Avengers VHS promotion, but how many made up the complete collection, and how scarce are these likely to be? I don't think they were produced in very high numbers and I don't recall seeing many back in the day. I never then, and haven't ever since, come across anything advertising Cathy or Tara. And If I recall they were rather pricey.
mrspeel01
Thingumajig

age of elegance-Cathy & Tara

Post by mrspeel01 »

Late reply as I have recently joined and have been making my way around. I have the Cathy & Tara prototype figurines. I managed to get these from ebay many moons ago -could be 10 years or more. They are indeed rare and i have only ever seen the Steed, Cathy & Tara prototypes for sale, on ebay. The Steed one was unpainted. I was outbid on him & Cathy but managed to get the Tara one. Then a couple of years later i managed to get the Cathy one. Have not seen any come up for sale since. Apparently a very small number of resin prototypes were made, and either left unpainted or were hand-painted. These look slightly different to the actual porcelain ones that were released. The pose is the same but the faces look different and slightly more detailed. If i could post pics here i would, as they are great looking figurines. Although they aren't photo accurate, they do capture the look of the characters.

Cathy is in her Leather fighting suit (jacket & trousers) with her arms folded. Tara is in the oufit she wore at the end of "The Forget-me-knot" (and in flashback scenes used in "Homicide & old lace", which were originally from "The Great Great Britain crime)". She is wearing a beige top & Culottes with leather gloves and thigh high leather boots that reach the culottes! She is holding her mink coat behind her. The pose is taken from the crossover scene in which she passes Emma on the staiirs leading to Steed's flat/apartment, and turns as Emma says the famous line "He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise!". The Steed figure is, of course, wearing his suit & bowler. The Emma figure is wearing her leather outfit and her hands are in a karate pose. I believe the pose was taken from one of the pics in the opening credit titles of series/season 4.

The released figurines were in very limited numbers, and, as with the prototypes, came in a navy- blue box with only a rose/carnation emblem on it. There is no mention of the Avengers or character name on the box. It may be that it is a standard Age of Elegance box. I believe a certificate came with each figure stating the number and this might have made mention of the series and character. i cannot be sure of this as mine didn't have the certificate, being a prototype.

I very much wish i had the full set as i think they are great pieces to have.
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

Sculpted by Marcus Quincy 'Age of Elegance'. Only the grey suited Steed and Emma Peel figures were originally offered on general sale. As officially licensed Avengers merchandise, they were sold through Lumiere Pictures in 1993 as part of their official Avengers merchandise range to help promote the first official release of The Avengers on VHS. In the end only a handful of figures were actually completed, interest in them was apparently extremely low. Six figures were intended to be released to make up three pairs, each sold individually. Steed & Cathy, Steed & Emma and Steed & Tara. However only two variants of the Steed figures made it to production. Steed in sporting trousers and jacket (more in keeping with the Gale era) to accompany the Cathy Gale figure, Steed in grey suit and bowler to accompany the Emma Peel figure and Steed in navy blue suit to accompany the Tara King figure. However due to lack of interest in the range the blue suited Steed never materialised. I count myself lucky to have obtained a complete set of all five figures direct from Marcus Quincy himself in 1993. Steed (the tallest) standing at approx 22cm tall and Emma (the shortest) at 18cm, each figure was supplied in a blue box with the Avengers 'gun and carnation' motif embossed in gold leaf on the front. None were ever accompanied by a limited edition certificate as originally intended, although each figure does have a silver embossed legend on the wood base 'Marcus Quincy Age of Elegance along with the company's phone number'. Although advertised as porcelain they were in fact all made of a high quality porcelain resin. Quite detailed in places, Cathy even has a tiny gold watch on her wrist. If memory serves me correctly they retailed at around £70.00 a piece, a fair sum in the early 90s. Very, very few finished figures (along with unfinished versions) are out there. To my knowledge this is the only complete set of five figures in existence (although a handful of individual figures are held in other collections), Honor Blackman herself is in possession of a Cathy Gale example. They suffered a couple of production problems, the right hand and brolly of the Steed figure was cast in metal and expensive to have made, and the ankles/feet of the Emma Peel figure were so fine that in hot conditions the resin softened causing the figure to start leaning over.

Although facially only having a passing resemblance to the actors, they are extremely classy for a promotional item produced nearly a quarter of a century ago, pretty awesome pieces, count yourself lucky if you own any of them :wink:

The company also offered a similar range of figures relating to 'The Prisoner', although I'm unsure if any of those even saw the light of day.
mrspeel01
Thingumajig

Avengers figurines

Post by mrspeel01 »

It is really great to see the complete set and many thanks for posting them here. I absolutely do feel lucky to own a couple, which are very treasured.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Avengerholic wrote:Sculpted by Marcus Quincy 'Age of Elegance'. Only the grey suited Steed and Emma Peel figures were originally offered on general sale. As officially licensed Avengers merchandise, they were sold through Lumiere Pictures in 1993 as part of their official Avengers merchandise range to help promote the first official release of The Avengers on VHS. In the end only a handful of figures were actually completed, interest in them was apparently extremely low. Six figures were intended to be released to make up three pairs, each sold individually. Steed & Cathy, Steed & Emma and Steed & Tara. However only two variants of the Steed figures made it to production. Steed in sporting trousers and jacket (more in keeping with the Gale era) to accompany the Cathy Gale figure, Steed in grey suit and bowler to accompany the Emma Peel figure and Steed in navy blue suit to accompany the Tara King figure. However due to lack of interest in the range the blue suited Steed never materialised. I count myself lucky to have obtained a complete set of all five figures direct from Marcus Quincy himself in 1993. Steed (the tallest) standing at approx 22cm tall and Emma (the shortest) at 18cm, each figure was supplied in a blue box with the Avengers 'gun and carnation' motif embossed in gold leaf on the front. None were ever accompanied by a limited edition certificate as originally intended, although each figure does have a silver embossed legend on the wood base 'Marcus Quincy Age of Elegance along with the company's phone number'. Although advertised as porcelain they were in fact all made of a high quality porcelain resin. Quite detailed in places, Cathy even has a tiny gold watch on her wrist. If memory serves me correctly they retailed at around £70.00 a piece, a fair sum in the early 90s. Very, very few finished figures (along with unfinished versions) are out there. To my knowledge this is the only complete set of five figures in existence (although a handful of individual figures are held in other collections), Honor Blackman herself is in possession of a Cathy Gale example. They suffered a couple of production problems, the right hand and brolly of the Steed figure was cast in metal and expensive to have made, and the ankles/feet of the Emma Peel figure were so fine that in hot conditions the resin softened causing the figure to start leaning over.

Although facially only having a passing resemblance to the actors, they are extremely classy for a promotional item produced nearly a quarter of a century ago, pretty awesome pieces, count yourself lucky if you own any of them :wink:

The company also offered a similar range of figures relating to 'The Prisoner', although I'm unsure if any of those even saw the light of day.
Ian

Very impressive. I've seen these before in solo images and even two together, but never all five in one place. Many thanks for going to the trouble of posting this here.
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

mrspeel01 wrote:It is really great to see the complete set and many thanks for posting them here. I absolutely do feel lucky to own a couple, which are very treasured.
I'd love to see the two you own Ron, hang onto them tightly, they are indeed little rare treasures.

MikeR wrote: Ian

Very impressive. I've seen these before in solo images and even two together, but never all five in one place. Many thanks for going to the trouble of posting this here.
I know of, probably less than a half dozen in the hands of other fans, inc two sets of Steed/Emma. If it hadn't been for my complete over addiction to collecting back then, then I wouldn't have had the complete set myself. These are all that remain of my entire collection and I wouldn't part with them for love nor money. Stay well Mike, kind regards, Ian :wink:
mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by mariocki »

There are definitely others out there, as a Treasure Hunt attendee can testify:

"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

mariocki wrote:There are definitely others out there, as a Treasure Hunt attendee can testify:
Yay how cool, I love seeing these when they turn up, careful how you straighten Steeds brolly it could snap easily :( Is your Cathy starting to lean over due to the resin becoming soft ? That happens to Emma usually. A friend broke the ankles on his Emma Peel trying to straighten her up. He was quoted nearly £400.00 for a professional restoration job :lol:
peeler1
White Dwarf

Post by peeler1 »

I have just been sorting out some stuff and came across the sell sheet and price list for the age of elegance figurines. I myself only have the Emma Peel which I could only afford at the time I would have loved the whole set and still would but I think that is going to be hard. Just thought i would post them on here for a matter of interest, but unfortunately i don't know how to put images on here.
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

peeler1 wrote:I have just been sorting out some stuff and came across the sell sheet and price list for the age of elegance figurines. I myself only have the Emma Peel which I could only afford at the time I would have loved the whole set and still would but I think that is going to be hard. Just thought i would post them on here for a matter of interest, but unfortunately i don't know how to put images on here.
Cool, I can't seem to locate my original leaflet . How much did they cost originally ? I seem to recall seeing a Steed figure on sale at 'Memorabilia' NEC, gosh it must be over £17 years ago now, and he was well over £100.00.