Series Six - Blu-Ray available October 20th

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Re: Series Six - Blu-Ray available October 20th

Post by anti-clockwise »

60 euros for season 6. that's just crazy. At this rate to have the entire series in blue-ray it could cost well over 300 euros. I know there has been significant inflation since the time the series was filmed but can you imagine the cast/crew knowing that just one season would cost 60 euros? that might have been someone's weekly salary for all I know back then.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
modrevolve
Nutshell

Post by modrevolve »

I think this will be 9 discs because of the number of episodes right?
NickP
Little Wonder

Re: Series Six - Blu-Ray available October 20th

Post by NickP »

anti-clockwise wrote:I know there has been significant inflation since the time the series was filmed but can you imagine the cast/crew knowing that just one season would cost 60 euros? that might have been someone's weekly salary for all I know back then.
If the cast and crew were told that one day you would be able to buy an entire series at all they would have been incredulous! That it would cost about the same as a decent meal in a restaurant would surely have been somewhat depressing for them.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Compared to how much we all spent on buying the series on VHS with 2 or 3 episodes per £10+ cassette, the DVD and Blu-ray sets are remarkably good value.

Of course the US Blu-ray set of Series 5 is about $20 but it's a false economy - no extras and episodes compressed down onto three discs.

You've got to remember that The Avengers is a niche product these days - though StudioCanal's Blu-ray prices are generally higher than those of other companies.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
PissedOffPeoN
White Dwarf

Post by PissedOffPeoN »

anyone know if it will have a pcm 24 bit audio like the rest of the uk sets i bought so far?
supersimon
Thingumajig

Post by supersimon »

Alan makes a very good point re cost, I recall paying £22 or £33 very other month in the early 90s for VHS cassettes which by today's standards were pretty crumby. The prices for the Blu Rays may be high in comparison with some other series, but the niche nature of the series is always going to make this so
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Perhaps true. I never owned the VHS tapes so have no comparison. Is everyone happy with the quality of the current DVD's just released?
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

I pre-ordered the French blurays a month ago. They're more expensive than the UK ones (compared to the amount I paid for the Series 4 UK bluray set). The three boxsets cost €180, which is really costly. But I'd do anything to buy them! :wink: :lol:
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by mariocki »

£73:51 for the UK set from Amazon.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."